Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 baja security system. need help disabling

my boss's best friend has an 06 baja that he got for cheap due to flood damage. it wasn't bad at all we didnt have to do anything to the engine and tranny other than change fluids. water barely got the floorboards wet inside.

long story short, 2 years later its starting to have security system problems. I'm pretty sure it has factory subaru security system in it. How do I go about disabling a security system like this? I know in the 95-98 outbacks you could just pull the security system module. Are the 2000-2004 the same way?

depends, but sometime in 2003+? they started putting built in immobilizer security in these cars (immobilizer key with micro chip) and I would think there is no way to disable the system. If you take it out, then no start, no move, no run situation.

Best solution is to get a junkyard system that has warranty. car-parts.com is good, and pretty reasonable and cheap to ship.

Good luck.

I talked to 3 dealers today adn tehy all said the same thing. Baja's didnt use the chipped key. The baja's were built with left over legacy stuff. It does have an interrupt relay that shuts down all power to the car when its tripped. I pulled out all the regular relays I could find today and swapped them around and still nothing. I was doing this outside at -20F for 4 hours. I talked to the owner and told him that if I was going to fix it, he HAD to have it towed to my shop or his shop so I could tear into it inside. too much plastic junk to break.

I checked alldatapro.com for the location of the interrupt relay and they picture they have is horrible, and its not where they claim its supposed to be.

By chance anyone have a FSM for the MY06?

Ok, I went out again today and fiddled aroudn with the car some more. Corrosion is a major issue with this car. Since its 04+ I dont have any references, manuals or anything on this car. I do have my alldatapro acct, but its so vague that its not even really worth using.

I spent 3 hours cleaning connectors/relays/fuses etc. I still cant find this security interupt relay that alldata says is there. I'm 90% sure thats what the problem is. the only power the car is getting is basically body electronics. Power locks work, Interior Lighting, Horn and thats it. basically what the security system uses. I pulled the ignition switch out of the column and tested it with a MM and a test light and no power anywhere on that circuit. I unplugged the bulkhead connector thats above the fusebox and all the terminals there looked good..

Is there anyone in this forum that owns an 06 Soob thats had issues with the sec. system? If so post or pm me please. I need tog et this job taken care of asap

Did you check the fuse box under the hood? One of the slow burning fuses (They're all marked "SBF") in the underhood box supplies all the stuff you're talking about. If the problem was the security system, it just wouldn't turn over, since the security module just disables the starter.

As for disabling the alarm, IIRC you turn the key on, get in the car close the door, press the unlock button for 1 second and release, then open the door and immediately press the lock button and hold it until the horn chirps and it says "AL Off" on the odometer display. If that doesn't work, try it with the key off. I can't remember exactly, been a while since I've done a PDI but the procedure is in the owner's manual.

fixed! found the relay. I had to sit upsidedown in the drivers seat stick my head up by the pedal mount just to see the relay. Wish these manuals, all data, mitchell etc actually had the REAL locations of components. they all said it was bolted to the dash crossbar support above the fuse box.. LOL I checked about 20 04+ soobs today and none of them had a relay there.

On the other hand, it could have been a lot worse. could have had the immobilizer system on it.. 600 dollar chipped key..

That price sounds difficult to believe, but I have a huge objection to even less expensive chipped keys.

It's not as if the insurance on a chipped car is all that much less- the benefit for the consumer is just not there IMO. Why should I have to pay $50+ for a key? Also, why should I risk being stranded should any part of the system malfunction? Furthermore, you're tied to the dealer for replacement ECMs... can only use a junkyard one if you can snag a matching key.

Nathan

plain old key blanks are like 2 bucks at the hardware store. I agree, I cannot figure out why they had to go to the method of security they have done. Maybe someone on here can argue the reason, and maybe it will make sense, but no matter what the reason, i do not want that tech.

For someone like me, who needs a spare key (my 06 only came with one key) I would have just gone to true value over a lunch break to have them copy the key on any of the older cars. Now, I have to take a vacation day to drive the 70 miles one way to the nearest Subaru dealer, to have them spend half a day to get the key programmed, etc). that is NO benefit to me whatsoever.

Now, does anyone know ow to yank out this system so i can use regular keys.?

That price sounds difficult to believe, but I have a huge objection to even less expensive chipped keys.

It's not as if the insurance on a chipped car is all that much less- the benefit for the consumer is just not there IMO. Why should I have to pay $50+ for a key? Also, why should I risk being stranded should any part of the system malfunction? Furthermore, you're tied to the dealer for replacement ECMs... can only use a junkyard one if you can snag a matching key.

Nathan

From what I was told from a Tech. at the dealer here in town, if it has the immobilizer system, there is nothing you can do to bypass it. (I know this guy personally, hes not just talking to a regular customer that came in the door at the dealership. he's taught me ways to bypass the older sec. systems in the past) If you dont have the chipped key, the car will not power up. theres no way around it.

Maybe in the future an aftermarket company will make a conversion system to do away with this security junk, but for now its all tied into a security module which tells the ECM and ignition systems to power up.

plain old key blanks are like 2 bucks at the hardware store. I agree, I cannot figure out why they had to go to the method of security they have done. Maybe someone on here can argue the reason, and maybe it will make sense, but no matter what the reason, i do not want that tech.

For someone like me, who needs a spare key (my 06 only came with one key) I would have just gone to true value over a lunch break to have them copy the key on any of the older cars. Now, I have to take a vacation day to drive the 70 miles one way to the nearest Subaru dealer, to have them spend half a day to get the key programmed, etc). that is NO benefit to me whatsoever.

Now, does anyone know ow to yank out this system so i can use regular keys.?

I think this should work based on the conversation I've had with car starter installers. Get some conventional copies made of your chipped key. Disassemble the steering column and secure the OEM chipped key near the ignition switch assy. Reassemble.

The chipped key contains a RFID device, so it doesn't have to actually be IN the ignition to deactivate the anti-theft- it just has to be near it.

For added security, you could carefully cut the tip off the key so if someone smashes your column while trying to steal the car they won't have the special bonus of finding a complete, functional key in there!

Nathan