Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Performance exhaust.

Does anyone have a basic spec for an exhaust upgrade for an early EA71?

I am interested in Performance, NOT sound. Infact I would prefer to have subtle sound if possible.

I should be able to do the fab work myself as long as I know what muffler to use and what size pipe.

I'm still running on a stock carb but hope to upgrade to a webber some time soon if that is relevant.

Cheers.

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk

For my EA81 i had a local shop make me a custom exhaust from the heads back out of stainless steel since i was tired of the exhaust rusting to nothing from the inside out after only a few years. I did 2 inch pipes the whole way back. It sounds mellow if not a bit louder than stock but not terrible. I wouldnt go any bigger than 2 for a N/A 1.6. 2 might even be pushing it a bit too big for that motor too. You might want to do 1 7/8 primarys and 2 inch secondaries. The big thing that was holding mine back was the factory restrictive y-pipe (might have been aftermarket too not sure). The drivers side head dumped its exhaust at a 90 degree into the passenger side exhaust. Not exactly good flow for power.

For the EA71 in my Brat, I built my dual exhaust using 1 3/4 Primaries, an X-pipe under the trans crossmember made of 1 7/8, and I ran 1 7/8 pipe back to a pair of glasspacks, then 1 7/8 back to the back of the passenger compartment, where they do a 90 degree bend and go straight out each side. Its not loud until I REALLY get on it, but it has a ton of torque, and Ive had it up t0 over 75mph (stock 4 speed 4wd, fairly low 3rd and 4th gears) You dont want anythng bigger than 1 3/4 for the primaries on a EA71, you will lose all low-end power.

It accelerates better than my RX did, and it has plenty of torque for off-road and such.

I also am running a Weber carb, on a early 1400 manifold.

-Bill

Sweet! Thank you guys.

Bill, is there a goog reason why I should not just coninue the pipes to the back after the glasspacks? Side exhausts sound cool but I'm not really into that kind of thing.

Cheers

Dirk.

I just run them out the sides because thats how I like them, but you can run them to the back no problem. Also, I used 18" long glasspacks :)

-Bill

Iv'e been looking under the car and I think that it would be good to connect the primary's to the x-pipe after the transmission. There is more room there so it would give me better ground clearance.

Is there any reason why I can't do this? Is the length of the primary's important?

Also, do the primary's have to be the same length?

Cheers,

Dirk.