Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

nasty 4wd clunking, help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mitch184

mitch184

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Everett, Washington

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:48 AM

Yeah, i finally got my lsd in. Now whenever i shift into 4wd while i'm moving and i'm in gear with the clutch depressed, it takes about 4-5 seconds before it shifts and then i get a huge clunk. If i do the same thing with the clutch depressed but in nuetral, it only takes about 1-2 seconds then shifts smoothly. Moral is, when i'm in gear it shifts like crap, when in nuetral it is smooth. I don't know if this is related to the new lsd, but it sounds like something is going to break if i keep doing it. Any ideas?

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:01 AM

First off make sure your not shifting into 4wd on asphalt, second check to make sure your tires are all the same size, i had that problem with mine when i was running 175's and 185's, not my fault, they were like that when bought the car

#3 mitch184

mitch184

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Everett, Washington

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

it was on asphault, but i was going in a straight line so i thought that it wouldn't make a difference as i had done this in the past without such a major clunking.

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:39 AM

What car are we dealing with here?

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:48 AM

Q, are you thinking he may have a 3.7 LSD rear with a 3.9 front?
If this is the case would the clutches in the LSD slip enough to allow the vehicle to roll??
Little off topic but until Mitch tells us this is not his 92 Silverado I would just like your thoughts.

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

That's what I'm thinking. And it could be the clutches binding and popping that he's hearing. I don't think it would slip enough to not bind the drivetrain.

#7 mitch184

mitch184

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Everett, Washington

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:51 PM

It's 3.7 all the way around. Its an 87 turbowagon 5 spd. The noise is getting better somehow. i jacked the rear tires off the ground and spun them. I can grab one wheel and rotate it about 10-15 degrees before the other tire and the pinion starts to rotate. I had a jeep with a locker that did the same thing and i was wondering if this is normal on lsd's too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users