Ultimate Subaru Message Board

nasty 4wd clunking, help

Yeah, i finally got my lsd in. Now whenever i shift into 4wd while i'm moving and i'm in gear with the clutch depressed, it takes about 4-5 seconds before it shifts and then i get a huge clunk. If i do the same thing with the clutch depressed but in nuetral, it only takes about 1-2 seconds then shifts smoothly. Moral is, when i'm in gear it shifts like crap, when in nuetral it is smooth. I don't know if this is related to the new lsd, but it sounds like something is going to break if i keep doing it. Any ideas?

Q, are you thinking he may have a 3.7 LSD rear with a 3.9 front?

If this is the case would the clutches in the LSD slip enough to allow the vehicle to roll??

Little off topic but until Mitch tells us this is not his 92 Silverado I would just like your thoughts.

It's 3.7 all the way around. Its an 87 turbowagon 5 spd. The noise is getting better somehow. i jacked the rear tires off the ground and spun them. I can grab one wheel and rotate it about 10-15 degrees before the other tire and the pinion starts to rotate. I had a jeep with a locker that did the same thing and i was wondering if this is normal on lsd's too.