Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'79 Brat, a running project

I am about to purchase a '79 Brat that has a few problems but I believe it is a good deal. The only current problems I can see are a cracked cv boot, the guy put a new fuel pump on it that is set at 9psi, he said the factory one is about 3-4psi, so the car dies sometimes when coming to a stop. I believe that these problems will be pretty simple to fix, but let me hear what you guys think. I also would like to know about performance parts and the jumps seats (does any one have some or know someone who does??)

thanks

shane

I will have pics up tomorrow after I purchase it (if it passes smog). And im not really looking for a race car just some parts to make it run more solid, as it will need some parts replaced.

I also have a Hanes manuel that I bought for my '84 GL and I think it will work for the '79 Brat but it says it only goes to 1980, will it work???

No you will need another manual for it. The Brat has the 1600 or EA-71 engine in it with a single range 4 speed. The 84 wagon has the 1800 or EA-81 engine and either a dual range 4 speed or 3 speed auto. Don't worry if you have any questions you will almost always be able to find the answers here. Good luck.

Richard

I will have pics up tomorrow after I purchase it (if it passes smog). And im not really looking for a race car just some parts to make it run more solid, as it will need some parts replaced.

I also have a Hanes manuel that I bought for my '84 GL and I think it will work for the '79 Brat but it says it only goes to 1980, will it work???

I think im gonna rename this post " the brat from hell" haha. So I just came across a new problem, the dam starter went out, I was wondering if I could use the one From the GL?? and also I was wondering what parts I could use from the GL to go on the Brat.

thanks guys hopefully I can get this piece running haha I need a reliable car!!!!:mad::horse:

shane

It's not the same size. You may be able to modify it to fit. I know your 84 radiator is bigger. Why don't you just give me your Brat and I will use it for my new 78 Brat:grin:

Richard

Haha We ended up making a bracket for it so now its all fitted up.:) adjusted the timing and the choke and now it runs pretty well:banana:

I'll try to update pics but i cant really figure out how.\

would it be possible to take the heater core out of the GL??