Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gen 2 brat tailgate latch linkage

I am trying to order the plastic linkage parts for the tailgate latch. There are two that fit the rod that opens the latches. I was able to get one of them ( #661331030 the smaller of the two), but not the one that I really need. It is about 3/4" long, bends to a 90 degree, and has a knob that pushes into a hole and holds the rod in place. The guys at the suby dealer are really going out of their way to help, but say they can't find a part #.

Happy thanksgiving day, Dave.

Edited by DaveAP

Try going to a local junk yard. there are lots of cars out there that use these types of clip in the doors for the locks / linkages. you may find one that is not exactly the same, but should work.

I am not sure how the latch system works in the brat tailgate, but perhaps if it just pulls you could use a small diameter cable with Some clamps on the ends. A small diameter cable is used on the latches for garage doors.

Good luck with this.

Paul

Dave,

I was having a similar problem with my Brat. I guess that the clip has disappeared off the L shaped rod causing it to pull through. Then the tailgate will not open correct? This is what I have done and it works fairly good for a while. I wrapped a medium size ty-wrap for electrical wire around the back side of the L piece. Latch it down pretty snug and it will hold it in place for a few months. Come loose I just work it back over and it is good to go for a couple of more months. I have been doing this for over a year now.

Dave,

I was having a similar problem with my Brat. I guess that the clip has disappeared off the L shaped rod causing it to pull through. Then the tailgate will not open correct? This is what I have done and it works fairly good for a while. I wrapped a medium size ty-wrap for electrical wire around the back side of the L piece. Latch it down pretty snug and it will hold it in place for a few months. Come loose I just work it back over and it is good to go for a couple of more months. I have been doing this for over a year now.

Good idea, thanks.

I am going to look at generic ones at autozone, also may be able to find one that works for some other brand.