Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The electric car

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

Entertaining stuff and yet the man talks a lot of sense.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/8AQAjyY6hMc

Here are some earlier ones:

http://www.youtube.c.../14/bJW5dVF_ss8

http://www.youtube.c.../18/LPi8EhT_fYA

Enjoy and discuss

Dirk.

#2 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

Bump

#3 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

We've spent a ton of time talking about this in our house. I agree with most of what he says in terms of pushing hydrogen (which it nowhere near prime-time yet and is just a stalling tactic) and being very pro-electric. I'm also a big fan of biodiesel made from waste oil (which, unfortunately, in California has fallen off the radar because of a lot of very STUPID regulations and, admittedly will only scale so far).

Currently, my vehicle needs/dream list are:

1. a 1981 Subaru Brat ('cause I ain't giving it up!)

2. an electric car for day to day driving for all the reasons stated in his video and the fact that we have solar pv on our roof :).

3. a subaru diesel when they are finally available in the US (hoping, hoping!) for light towing around town and long trips (I love diesels)

BTW, if you haven't seen it yet, get ahold of copy of "who killed the electric car". It's a great watch and really makes you think.

#4 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hey Ben,

Sadly it seems that Bio-diesel is not 'all that' either. The whole process for manufacturing bio-diesel requires more energy than what you get out.

The best you can do in the way of bio-diesel is to recycle it from oil that already exists. Like oil from deep fat fryers. Not really enough chip shops to support the amount of cars in the world though.

Yeah, I saw that film too. Quite an eye opener.

#5 bendecker

bendecker

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Lakeside, CA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

Agreed. All the biodiesel in our area is from waste oil, which is great, but will only scale so big.

I was buying 100% bio from waste oil for the same price as regular from a local station, but they stopped selling it due to the storage regulations (can't store it underground).

We can still get 20% (again, from waste oil) and I'll keep using it when convenient, but it's not worth a special trip like the 100% stuff was.

-Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users