Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Tranny Teardown (and rebuild?) WITH PICS

Thats a 3.545 setup, but if I can find a 4.444 setup for that cheap, I'll bid on it.

-Bill

Ok, so I've been lazy and haven't looked up a shop to do the custom cut/weld/machine work on my pinion shafts just yet. HOWEVER, Im also looking into another option.

In the USA there was 1 model of Subaru that came with 4.444 gears in a 5 speed manual, and it was available for 2 years. That would be the 04-05 Forester Turbo. The Ring and pinion set is available from the dealership, at a mere $317 plus tax :eek:. Not cheap, but its brand new, OEM.

SO, my question, is the pinion shaft in the Turbo Forester 5 speed transmission the same length, shape, and dimensions as the Early Legacy (90-94) 5 speed pinion shafts? Because if it is, then I will save up and pay up for the new pinion and ring gear from Subaru. If not, its back to the original plan.

-Bill

I would assume the pinion would work with the RX driven shaft.

BUT, I know the newer cars used a different center diff (and possibly housing). so you'd need to get your hand on one of those. IIRC anything 2002 and newer would work there, so that'd be a bit easier than the R&P.

keep your eyes open on nasioc and the like. might be able to find a trans with a blown 2nd gear for fairly cheap.

also, baja turbos and outback XTs had them.

"keep your eyes open on nasioc and the like. might be able to find a trans with a blown 2nd gear for fairly cheap.

also, baja turbos and outback XTs had them."

I'm not set up or know my way around over there. Mabie post a want add for it all?

Just reading through this thread.

Did the US get D/R EJ boxes? The only manual AWD Liberty (Legacy) that didn't get D/R here were the turbo models. They only had the RX 1.192 low range though. Maybe some early Imprezas had 1.59 low range (but I've never found one myself).

Another solution for fitting of your front pinion to the shaft (mind you I've got no idea how expensive this would be)

Get your RX shaft & have the pinion machined off & have a spline cut into it.

Get the Legacy shaft & have the shaft machined out of the centre of the pinion & then a reverse spline matching the shaft done.

Now all it needs are a couple of spot welds to stop the pinion sliding off the end of the shaft, the splines would be taking the rotational forces, welding to hold that strength not required.

Other method would be to have the pinion part machined up so that it is too small, then have it heated up so that it's a press fit while hot. Once cooled, it will have shrunk onto the shaft.

"Did the US get D/R EJ boxes?"

Fair enough. If anyone's interested, I may be able to organise to ship come D/R casings over.

A conversion we do over here is EJ internals (gearset,diffs) into an L case wth the EJ centre diff section.

I do prefer the idea of the lockable centre diff though. I destroyed the Viscous centre in my first car.

• 2 months later...

Well, just an update. Ive been lazy and still havent gotten around to getting the necessary machinework done yet, so I still dont have 4.444's installed, but with the Walker off-road meet coming up soon, It's time to light a fire under my rump roast and get it done :banana: More updates when I actually do something...

-Bill

• 1 year later...

Good readd, nice thread!! It's an interesting way to get an EJ D/r from USDM stuff...

Fair enough. If anyone's interested, I may be able to organise to ship come D/R casings over.

Wagonist,

I've been reseaching Aussie dual range AWD gear boxes for a 4 years or so, and am again on a kick to try to get one..

Would you be willing to work with me on this?

PM coming. . .

-mark-