Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a '97 auto trans swap to a '00 a simple bolt in

Blacky

The bellhousings will differ, but it will still bolt up just fine.

97's won't have the external filters that the 00 has but that doesn't have any bearing on the swap working.

As far as electronics, I'm inclined to think it'll work but I haven't done it.

The boxes (physical trans case) are identical minus the two very minor issues above. The only issue I can think of is with speedometer and speed sensors - not sure if/when they changed the speed sensor set ups.

Also - the final drive ratio needs to match. They will be either 4.11 or 4.44's, but that's easy to solve as well, you have the entire parts car so you could swap the rear diff too if you have to match.

May want to take a hard look at the wiring harness. Read somewhere the 4EAT was completely redesigned somewhere in the late 1990s. Would be a real PITA to discover after doing the swap the wiring harnesses didn't match.

I know there are 3 connectors at the bell housing on 99 and earlier cars, and starting in 2000 (it seems, 99 on Foresters - when things went SOHC 2.5) there are 2 connectors.

Never researched further than that for swaps.

Also - the usual disclaimer about the rear diff being the same ratio.