Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Loyale squeals till it's warm + high idle, oil pressure

I have a 1988 loyale with a low milage japanese drop in engine. the water pump was just replaced at a shop and since then until the car warms up from about 10 minutes of driving or running there is a loud squealing noise when I am in motion.

The mechanic says it is my drive belt and that he can't tighten it anymore without over-tightening it and it is just going to make that noise.

it's annoying, but it usually goes away.

I am worried that it is messing something up, or that he needs a different sized belt or that it is going to seriously mangle something. If it's just going to be a noise, I don't mind(unless someone knows how to fix it)

Ideas?

the idle is also high, around 2ooo till it is warm too and the oil pressure starts out high as well. everything settles fine once the engine is warm. the idle has been adjusted to lower it, but once the engine is warm it is almost too low so can't really be fudged much more to my knowledge

thanks

Your mechanic is a moron. Find a new one. The pulley's may need to be sanded or replaced, and the belt should be tight enough not to make noises. You should use a new belt as one that has been slipping on the pulleys like that is automatically suspect - it overheats the rubber and causes wear spots.

It is normal for the SPFI to increase the idle speed when cold. It doesn't sound like you have a problem to me. You might need a new coolant temp sensor - those are common. Raise the idle speed back to where it idle's properly when warm. Oil pressure should be high when cold as well - the oil is thicker when cold.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

1988 loyale ???

Most likely 1988 GL.

Yea that mechanic doesn't know a hammer from a tool box. I wouldn't trust him nor go back to him, apparently he knows nothing about Subarus (This would be the same mechanic that would put both cams in the same direction) then rip your disty out and install a new one cause it doesn't fire right or atall - And then wouldn't know how to set the ign timing.

-Tom

it is a GL, sorry about that.

unfortunately I live in SF, have no driveway or work space and he is the only mechanic in the bay that I could find that would work on subies more than 10 years old.

I feel foolish about the oil thing, I should have thought that through a little more.

the belt was a new belt, which is when the noise started. hmm....

theloyale, are you suggesting he would mess up changing my disty out, or that he would do so after putting the cams in the wrong way?

thanks!

subarus are very easy to work on, any qualified mechanic could adapt to a subaru ,its basic mechanical knowledge and a good repair manual. however some repair shops that i know here in Michigan don't care about anything except billing you hours, its very hard to find a good mechanic, you could ask if any Bord members know of a good repair shop in your area.

theloyale, are you suggesting he would mess up changing my disty out, or that he would do so after putting the cams in the wrong way?

thanks!

What I ment was - this seems like the type of mechanic that would do timing belts on a Subaru and then not time the cams correctly, He prolly would set both in the same position. You are supposed to set the cams 180 degrees from each other. In other words, if one has the dot straight up the other should be straight down and the little arrow on the bell housing should be pointing on the middle line that is marked on the flywheel/flex plate.

So after he messes the cam timing up, he would think its an ignition issue and pull your Disty out not knowing how to time it when he puts it back in (btw, its about 20degress BTDC)

We have heard alot of storys of shops that mess up on a Subaru just becasue they don't seem to care.

Its ok though, your on here and any questions you could have - I'm sure someone can answer them :)

-Tom

Edited by TheLoyale

If you tighten a belt up too much you can wear out the bearings in your alt and ac power steering pump or accessories whatever you got. Get a new belt. Fix it in the parts store parking lot. Sometimes they will help too if its a slow day.:) Don't spray anything on the belts. Those products kill belts. Making them grab better by melting the outer surface.

of course today when I go for my weekly 20 minute drive it was idling very oddly the first time I turned it on and drove out.

It would idle around 1/ 2 then raise up near 3 then drop back to 1 and raise again. just did this at one light, with clutch down and in gear or in neutral. I parked, went in for about 20 minutes, came out to drive home and it didn't happen again....

anything important? maybe the idle was tweaked with too much?