Ultimate Subaru Message Board

X-CNTRY trip report.

Guest mtsmiths

Finished up the trip from Whitfish, MT to Washington DC in our '00 Legacy (deBrightonized) wagon. We went the high line and I-94, We overnighted in Bismark, ND, Janesville, WI and Morgantown, WV ... arriving on the Gallaudet campus at noon of day four. Averaged about 700 miles per day, swapping driving and listening to 'Undaunted Courage' on CD (20 discs).

Trip average was 75 mph cruise and 27.7 mpg (actual 61.1 mph start to stop each day, counting fuel/potty stops). The car ran flawlessly with the exception of a few spurious fuel quantrity reports and the CEL that reappeared after 1,500 miles or so (I had battery danced it before we left). Lost our new (eight months) windshield about 1250 miles from home and had to watch the crack creep across the rest of the trip.

Car does great in DC traffic, and Subarus are definately rare out here. What you do see are mostly Foresters and the occassional Outback wagon, no Legacies or Imprezas, and absolutely NO sedans of any kind.

Guest Legacy777

you might have made better time by taking 90.....but no biggy it's still nice country and open roads in both those areas.

Guest mtsmiths

And then you go clear down to Billings and up north again to get around the Black Hills. It cut at least 100 miles off to go straight out Hwy 2 along the high line to Wolf Point, then drop down to I-94 to Bismark. It all comes together again later when we dropped south to Indianapolis and across on I-74 (to avoid the toll road from Chicago to Haggerstown, MD.

'Course, we did lose the windshield on Hwy 2 outside of Cut Bank, MT (pea gravelling the hwy), so the time saved prolly cost us $200.00, but that's Montana fer ya!

So far, I've NEVER come across an AutoZone to get the recurrent CEL codes pulled.