Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wondering about an ej22 engine swap...

i jsut bought a 1986 GL wagon, and i have been hearing alot about swapping the 2.2 liter subaru legacy engines in. if you have done this to your subaru, can you give me a rough estimate on how much that will cost? will i need a new tranny?

I just did the swap to my '92 Loyale, (same type of car as your GL just fuel injected) and I love it! No more gutless turd of an engine!:banana: Here's a link to my thread on the whole process and things you need: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103355

The costs are based on how resourceful you can be. Alot of parts for the swap can be found in a wrecking yard. I listed out where I got all of my parts in the thread above. Feel free to ask me any questions, I may have some answers.

Hope this helps.:)

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Man, I'm getting 25-28 consistantly with my 87' GL with an EA82 and 5 speed 4wd. I just moved a 3 hours drive and had the wagon loaded down with my EJ22 I am planing on swaping, all my tools and stuff and still flew up a fairly steep 3 mile hill at 60 in 4th gear. But i would imagine the Weber, polished and ported heads and dual exhaust help quite a bit.