Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Timing Belts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mkarns

mkarns

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • MO

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:27 AM

Hi All Again.

I really appreciate your answers as I'm a novice Subie owner.

Is there an easy way to check the condition of the timing belts on an '87 turbo.

I just got the vehicle, but I also just spend $300 replacing the one on my Mazda.

Thanks,

Mark

#2 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:23 PM

here is a link to fox's website. it oughta work for ya. http://www.warpthree.../timingbelt.htm

#3 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 04 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

Hey Mark,

The easiest way to know the condition of your T-belts is to change them. You know it's time to change them when:

1. They break and you are stuck on the side of the road.
2. You have about 55 to 60K on them.
3. They are visibly checked and/or missing teeth.

#3 is easy to do by pulling the covers and looking the belts over.
#2 assumes you have documentation of the last T-belt replacement
#1 does no harm because the EA-82 is a noninterference engine. It's just inconvenient.

Changing them is not too hard and the link above is a good resource. IF you do plan on tearing into it you might as well reseal the oil pump and replace the H2O pump. You have to pull off all the same stuff off to do the oil pump anyway. Recommend getting a manual. I'm not sure what a shop would charge or even what's fair if you’re not into wrenching on your car. Someone else here might be able to quote you prices.

#4 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:33 AM

If you are even the sligtest bit mechanically inclined you can pull this off without paying shop labor prices. eaiest to do it with a manual to look t. don't have one? check your local library.
i know that every shop i tal to either doesn't tuch soobs or wants $50hr. have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users