Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wondering about jacks....

Logan K

i was helping a friend put on his spare tire today after he got a flat, and it made me realize just how screwed I would be if that happened to me. i have a 4 inch lift kit and 28 inch mud terrains, and as a result, i have 21.5 inches of clearance between my jack point and the ground. my dinky little scissor jack can only reach 10 inches. what kind of jack would you recommend?

yep. for a side-of-the-road repair, I carried a small floor jack and a bunch of junks of wood. usually a couple chunks of 4x4 of decent size to put under the jack. and then a number of pieces of 2x4 to put between the jack and the car.

for offroad. hi-lift. (see the period? :grin: ), I have a Northern Tool knockoff of the hi-lift design. I love it. used it on the subarus, and the 4runner. just have to have a place to jack from (stock bumpers aren't great, but will work. preferably some nice steel bumpers).

lg-NOR-76520-New-01.jpg

I carry one like this in a spare craftsman tookbox. Same box has air hose, spare belts, gloves and other helpful stuff.

Worked alright for the Subaru when I needed it. I have had a scissor jack fold in half on me before. I will never use one to live a vehicle again.

For my Truck I have a hi-lift, its kind of impractical for a Subaru unless you have modified bumpers to handle it.

I dunno

I would rather trust my life to a 2x2 block of wood on a jack than use a high lift.While its true that both cases the car could fall off the jack,with the regular jack you are not going to get smacked in the face if the the latch decides to release wrong.Personally I have never been injured by a hi lift but Ive seen enough to be more than cautious.Hell, I use my foot to nervously tap the release on a hi lift because ive seen then coming ratcheting down.That 3 foot bar gets pretty mean swinging that fast.

Although a hi lift is kinda nice if you want to shift a vehicle over or use the highlift as a winch..

I would rather trust my life to a 2x2 block of wood on a jack than use a high lift.While its true that both cases the car could fall off the jack,with the regular jack you are not going to get smacked in the face if the the latch decides to release wrong.Personally I have never been injured by a hi lift but Ive seen enough to be more than cautious.Hell, I use my foot to nervously tap the release on a hi lift because ive seen then coming ratcheting down.That 3 foot bar gets pretty mean swinging that fast.

You do have to use some brain matter while operating them. yea, if you're not hanging onto them, they'll go pretty crazy. but I would not, for a second, call it any less safe than a floor/bottle jack on enough lumber to get a lifted subaru off the ground. ESPECIALLY offroad, where you don't have a stable place to put a jack.

I carry a Hi-Lift jack on my Off-road car, and it has made my life easier many many times. Its perfectly safe if you know what you are doing and have good bumpers. Ive found the stock rear bumper is strong enough to jack from on the EA82 wagons, but its best to have a steel bumper on the front.

What I want to get is a full-size quick lift Aluminum racing floor jack from Harbor Frieght, I have a flyer here to get one for less than $60, but they are never in stock :mad:

Whatever jack you use, some good chunks of wood are a must-have. Not only do they work under/on the jack, but you can use them to block he wheels as well.

-Bill

the only thing i've used my scissor jack for is to straighten the draglink on my buddies yota like 3 times one day! then i used my prybar and some farmers wire to stitch him up for the rest of the day....my hi-lift is always in the back, or on the top, i have stock bumpers still but that sould be soon to change. regardless, my bumpers work fine for jacking the car up, the jack just catches the metal strip on the bottom of the bumpers and she lifts right up!