Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to put timing belt back on after you just replaced both heads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chuck37

chuck37

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Wantage New Jersey

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Ha I have a 2001 Legecy and I am going to replace the heads are there any tips on getting all the timming marks line up after you just put new heads on:)http://www.ultimates...ilies/smile.gif
Thanks Chuck

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,740 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

it's no different than installing a timing belt any other time. is there something confusing you or different about it than normal? what exactly are you wondering?

i would search here or look for johncegglestons(?spelling) user name, he has the endwrench articles posted in his signature.

endwrench is Subaru's internet supplied direction, it's all you need.

#3 chuck37

chuck37

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Wantage New Jersey

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

I have never put a timing belt on before I have work on cars with timing chains back in the day but not a car with timing belts.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,740 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Yeah just search for links to those endwrench articles, they're fantastic. Straight from Subaru with pictures and all. Search button is up a bit in that line of header options. Click on advanced search - select the new gen forum and search for timing belt.

Good luck, they're straight forward and fairly simple, but they are an interference engine so want to get them right!

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,273 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

I have never put a timing belt on before I have work on cars with timing chains back in the day but not a car with timing belts.

if i can do it....

it not that hard, make sure to use the correct crank sprocket timing mark. when you are using the correct one, the crank sprocket keyway will be down in the 6 o'clock position.

dual cams are a little trickier, but i don't think the '01 legacy has dual cams.

see link below.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users