Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went to the mall today, noticed both the battery and brake light on. Stopped at the bank and when i got back in the car barely started, then the ABS light came on and the tachometer quit working. Was able to drive a short distance to Auto Zone. They put their meter on it and showed a bad alternator, even though the battery was only showing 4% charge. Amazed me that with that low a battery level they were able to tell it was the alt. Anyhow, I had to end up buying the Duralast reman alt. for $153. They loaned me a set of socket wrenches and i changed it in the parking lot. Car seems to be driving working fine now. Was just wondering how good the Duralast Alt is? has anyone had trouble with them?

Also about 2 months ago I had a check engine light related to the #2 cly misfire. It only misfired once at startup, and has never done it since. Could the bad alt have caused this? I have also had trouble starting the car on damp days, I assumed it was bad contacts in the starter, but now wonder if that too was alt related, guess time will tell if the starter still acts up.

Yes, I am running an Autozone Duralast alternator without problems. It is a rebuilt alternator, so only as good as the rebuilder. Keep your receipt. A life time guarantee comes with their alternator, and Autozone will swap it out for another rebuilt unit, no questions asked.

At $153, their alternator isn't cheap, but a lot less money then one from a Subaru stealership, without a life time guarantee.

Yeah - not much you could do given the circumstances so you didn't do too bad. Personally I avoid the Duralast stuff - frankly I avoid Autozone for anything other than emergency chemical and fluids needs after hours of my normal store.

I get Bosch reman's for $135 after I bring in the core. Been good to me. The best are the Subaru reman's but those are about $225. I sometimes find them and pull them at the junk yards.

GD

I'm wondering if I should try and pickup a used alt and keep in the car. will be driving it allot this winter to Snowshoe WV, and there isn't anything worse than to have to have a car towed from atop a cold mountain to a garage 50 miles away or worse not making it up the mountain, I know, I have had to do both before........

I went through quite a few 97 Alts (autozone was one) from various sources within a year. I finally said screw it and got one from subaru. It is now 3 years old and still working.

Gte ont from sooby and be done with it.

A weak alt can cause starting issues.

nipper

Have it rebuilt locally if there are any electrical/automotive rebuilders that know what they're doing.

There's one year Outback that had a recall and Subaru carries them for $75 (that's the discounted online pricing - so should be $100 at the dealer). They probably made tons of of them for the recall.

Not sure how recalls are done but you could even check to see if yours was ever performed, but sounds like it's too late.

Yes. Thats where i got mine. It cost 95.00 (20.00 core charge).

nipper

Now I know where I'll buy mine if the one in my car ever quits. Much better deal than the "Worldwide" brand that advance sells, which I'd never buy anyway because of an incident with a BMW starter for a friends car. Long story short 3 (three) Worldwide rebuilt units and not a single one was right. Had to waste a whole day waiting after each one for another one to be ordered in. After a whole week I finally got the car back together with a Duralast unit that has been in the car 2 years now without a hiccup.

Have it rebuilt locally if there are any electrical/automotive rebuilders that know what they're doing.

There's one year Outback that had a recall and Subaru carries them for $75 (that's the discounted online pricing - so should be $100 at the dealer). They probably made tons of of them for the recall.

Not sure how recalls are done but you could even check to see if yours was ever performed, but sounds like it's too late.

If it was, it probably was already replaced by Subaru before I bought the car, there was only 2 outstanding recalls on the car when I bought it. It has 200k on it now, if that was the orginal, which I doubt, it did very good.

yep, its too late, the core is gone anyhow.

I have a good rebuilder here, if he is still in business, havent taken anything to him for a several years. I have owned 5 BMWs over 20 years and have never replaced an Alt. in any of them.

Edited by skibumm

When I dis-assemble a car any "worldwide" electronic components get scrapped, or saved for next time I need a core. I've had many of them still looking like new that were crap. I'd never actually install one.

I have perhaps a half dozen Subaru Reman alt's from various cars and I typically sell them last. Incase I need them for a car I'm fixing up. The last few board members I sold one to were Subaru reman's.

Or I have a local (retireing) that still rebuilds them - often while I wait. Starters alternators, generators, etc. I'll miss him when he's gone. Another "trade" that doesn't make much sense to get into anymore. I give him all the work that I can.

Saw the $75 special, also read the following on the same page:

alternator, impreza

95-96 list $691.04 our price $580.48

I had mine go while i was up at my cousins house in Ohio during Thanksgiving. It was a Worldclass unit installed by the previous owner. The local Autozone had one for $135. So far so good.

Mmm, why was yours cheaper than mine! I paid $153. from Autozone

Checked the receipt today and it was 130.99 before tax. GD is right. :eek: Pricing depends on store location.

Dean

Dang, your right, I checked the AZ online store, put the Zip in of the store I bought mine from and it was $153.96. Then put my own zip code in and I get a store across the river in WV and its only $139.99.