Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New tools for me

Breeke

Well it's nothing fancy, but i'm happy.

Sears had a sale today and I couldn't resist (because I have almost no tools of my own. Have always used my Dad's)

2 1/4 Ton Floor Jack ($39.99)

2 Jackstands (Included with Jack deal)

204 Piece "Mechanics Tool Set" ($99.99)

24 Piece Screw Driver Set ($24.99)

19.2 Volt C3 Drill Driver AND Impact Driver in 3/8 ($99.99)

2 19.2 Volt Batteries and Charger (Included in Drill Package)

1 19.2 Volt Drill Driver (on clearance, no battery) (was display, last years model) ($35.00)

All Craftsman.

I think that was it, All for $300 bucks before tax) YAY

:banana::banana::banana:

I have taken to buying the Harbor Frieght 6 ton jack stands - invaluable if you do transmission swaps to get the car as high as possible. I beleive they are $39.99 regular but are often on sale for $29.99

Nice stuff - you won't regret the 3/8 cordless impact. I have a Rigid version and it's great. Take it to the junk yard all the time.

I will caution you though - the "regular" craftsman screwdrivers (the big kit they always sell on sales) are pretty much junk. I did recently buy one of the "professional" screwdrivers and it's not too bad but the regular ones I don't like at all. I have taken to buying snap-on scredrivers. Sad, but what do you do?

GD

I have use craftsman only my whole life, and have no complaints myself GD. The main reason is, when I do brake one. I just run down the road and return it. Same day, no questions asked. So for me, and what I work on. (hobby) they are perfect. :-p

The difference is that they *do* break. Time is money for the pro. Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc. have a lifetime warantee *and* you pay a fortune for their product because you won't be back to buy another one. They simply don't break. Broken tools are money lost. The pro needs to trust that they will not break - not even under abuse as it is sometimes required.

The problem with a good percentage of the Craftsman stuff is that they are cheap, they do break (they don't mind giving you another because.... duh - their cheap!), and having owned some of those tools I would have to replace them every few months if not sooner.

I do use a lot of Craftsman stuff - but there are items - screwdrivers are one of them - that simply aren't worth the metal and plastic they are made from. There is a WORLD of difference between a good screwdriver and a cheap one. They fit the screw, don't break, bend or chip, and can withstand the rigors of a real shop. Craftsman's "regular" line of screwdrivers don't even come close. There was probably a time when this wasn't true - I suspect it was sometime when my grandfather was a young man (born 1915).

More than anything the Craftsman screwdrivers are just annoying as hell. I've broken way too many of them and do I really have time to return a single friggen screwdriver? Nope. Even my time isn't worth that little. For the $100 that a decent set costs I would rather not have the frustration.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I consider screwdrivers to be a consumable item. Even the good ones crap out in the end. Generally because they are one of the most abused tools in a garage. Plus people seem to have a habit of borrowing them and not giving them back.

Speaking of losing stuff. Where do all the damn pencils and marker pens go?!

I think the drier steals or eats them.

And it always steals the new ones. Never the old ones with holes in them. My wife and I both hate sorting socks. We have a big chest at the foot of our bed that we just throw them into. She has been known to wear an ankle sock on one foot and a wooly ski sock on the other.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
It's not the dryer. It's these little bastards.

38a.jpg

Underpants Gnomes.

This just put a big smile on my face :lol: Thanks for that!

I will agree that the only reason that craftsman are nice is for the return policy... but I only use tools as a hobby, so if they fail, it's not that big of a deal to return it. If this were my bread and butter, snapon, matco, mac, etc are awesome and the only way to go. I don't know about craftsman impact tools, but for impact tools, even I will spend the money on snapon, matco, mac impact tools. Buy once, NEVER worry about them again. Bluebird impacts rule ;)

I agree with GD on the craftsman screwdrivers. For the backyard mechanic or the weekend wrencher i find craftsman more then fine. Have used them all my life and still have some that i got when iwas 12. But i do agree with gd about the screwdrivers. The big pack craftsman they sell do break often. But then again when i can return it whats the big deal. I have craftsman, stanley, harbor frieght, china brands screwdrivers. They break, they dont break whatever i buy a new one if i need it.

As for your tools good job, i hold my tools to be one of my most valuable investments. Much like a caveman with his rock hammer and spear. Gives me pride in fixing or maintaining something. I have a 3 ton jackstands because i had a fullsize truck once but still the 2 1/4 jackstand. I find a larger jackstand to be more then helpfull. With the larger dish to jack up and the overall ability of the jack. But what you have is enough for a suby. I have also invested in a good corded hammer drill. I like the battery stuff for small jobs but for big ones i find batterys dont last long. At least for the tools i can afford. I just got a craftsman multimeter, flood lights, and a the extender bar, swivel attachment, and up and down attachments tools with my christmas money. Me and the inlaws dont get along that great but they know to get me that sears gift card for christmas. Really helps build up my tools. And yea the after christmas sales are awsome at sears.

the older craftsman screwdrivers are better than the new ones... the steel in the new ones is crap. I've gotten enough as gifts, that I have about 3 sets of screwdrivers, so when I break one, I just find another, and then I pile them up to take back to sears, but I bet I break 3-4 a year....

I would have to agree that Craftsman are okay for the weekend mechanic and it is usually easier to find a Sears store than a Snap-On van, but I haven't bough any Craftsman tools since I discovered time and place near me that the Snap-On guy comes every week. I would reccomend having good tools in your road kit, that's not when you want your tool to break.

I like sears Craftsman tools.

Whenever i break them, its a 125 mile roundtrip to get the replacement (being in the middle of iowa, the closest sears stores are all 60 miles plus away).

Around here, its a LOT easier to find the MAC truck, Snap-On guy, etc. They go around all the little towns all the time to the shops that use their tools, any day i can find a truck at either the car dealer or parts store.

Same goes for Husky tools from Home Depot (again, 125 miles roundtrip to get them replaced). My last Husky swivel 3/8 drive ratchet with extending handle broke, my parents had time to go exchange it for me.

You got a good buy on the jack with stands. Very good price and very useful. Remember to always use jackstand(s).

tool on. About everytime i go to the jnkyard i come back with more screwdrivers. I always find one or two in the gloveboxes, or trunks of the junkyard cars. easy and cheap :)

Same goes for Icescrapers. never buy a icescraper, go to the junkyard and have at it.

Edited by bheinen74