Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternator compatibility?--anyone rebuild one b4?

Will a 97 alternator out of a 2.5 legacy fit my 02 legacy 2.5...they look almost identical...

Also...anyone know what's involved with rebuilding these yourself? I want to crack it open...

thanks guys

Many years of alternators are mechanically inter-changeable, but the cable that plugs in may be different (round plug on the older cars, square plug on the newer one). Also, the output is usually higher on the newer cars.

Check the alternator part number chart posted in the USRM to see which types were OEM on the vehicle.

Will a 97 alternator out of a 2.5 legacy fit my 02 legacy 2.5...they look almost identical...

Also...anyone know what's involved with rebuilding these yourself? I want to crack it open...

thanks guys

Come on guys...are you telling me that no one on this board has ever rebuilt an alternator? Or is everyone that has on vacation?:banana:

thanks

man your fired up about being cheap with that cheapo recall unit or rebuild yourself!? :lol:

a search here showed someone that tried to swap but it didn't work. plugs were different, they swapped those and it didn't work. sounds like it's a bolt in but something else is up. probably a work around for that.

i only spent a few seconds, might be more info.

Come on guys...are you telling me that no one on this board has ever rebuilt an alternator? Or is everyone that has on vacation?:banana:

thanks

You asked about an interchange, not a rebuild. I have rebuilt them. I have stopped since sometimes costs more to rebuild them then what one can or is willing to buy one for. Why not call a subaru parts supplier and ask them? But since the voltage regulator is differnt I would say they may not be good matches.

This is for a 2000 Legacy:

Voltage regulator, legacy, 2.5l

00-04 $179.35 $129.13

Bearings, front, legacy

95-00 $20.68 $14.89 Rectifier, legacy

00-03 $115.51 $83.17 Bearings, rear, legacy

95-04 $38.92 $28.02

Brushes, legacy

00-04 $13.22 $9.5