Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

alternator compatibility?--anyone rebuild one b4?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • new york

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Will a 97 alternator out of a 2.5 legacy fit my 02 legacy 2.5...they look almost identical...

Also...anyone know what's involved with rebuilding these yourself? I want to crack it open...
thanks guys

Edited by bgambino, 10 December 2009 - 11:50 AM.

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Possibly, but you can find out for sure, if you go to any on line auto parts stores, compare their part numbers for alternator that fit a 97 and 02. If the same part number, then they will interchange.

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

Will a 97 alternator out of a 2.5 legacy fit my 02 legacy 2.5...they look almost identical...

Also...anyone know what's involved with rebuilding these yourself? I want to crack it open...
thanks guys

Many years of alternators are mechanically inter-changeable, but the cable that plugs in may be different (round plug on the older cars, square plug on the newer one). Also, the output is usually higher on the newer cars.

Check the alternator part number chart posted in the USRM to see which types were OEM on the vehicle.

#4 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • new york

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

thanks guys

Come on guys...are you telling me that no one on this board has ever rebuilt an alternator? Or is everyone that has on vacation?:banana:
thanks

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

man your fired up about being cheap with that cheapo recall unit or rebuild yourself!? :lol:

a search here showed someone that tried to swap but it didn't work. plugs were different, they swapped those and it didn't work. sounds like it's a bolt in but something else is up. probably a work around for that.

i only spent a few seconds, might be more info.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Come on guys...are you telling me that no one on this board has ever rebuilt an alternator? Or is everyone that has on vacation?:banana:
thanks

You asked about an interchange, not a rebuild. I have rebuilt them. I have stopped since sometimes costs more to rebuild them then what one can or is willing to buy one for. Why not call a subaru parts supplier and ask them? But since the voltage regulator is differnt I would say they may not be good matches.

This is for a 2000 Legacy:

Voltage regulator, legacy, 2.5l
00-04 $179.35 $129.13
Bearings, front, legacy
95-00 $20.68 $14.89 Rectifier, legacy
00-03 $115.51 $83.17 Bearings, rear, legacy
95-04 $38.92 $28.02
Brushes, legacy
00-04 $13.22 $9.5

#7 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • new york

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Nipper
thanks...if it needed all those parts it surely is not worth the effort
BTW...I did ask about rebuilding it in the original post

Gary
I love tinkering with things AND, not giving my money to anyone else...and I'm damn proud of it:grin:

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

The reasons why Alts go bad the first time are usually the voltage regulator or rectifier. I would replace the brushes too if you are so inclined to rebuilding it.

They arent hard to rebuild.

nipper

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Gary
I love tinkering with things AND, not giving my money to anyone else...and I'm damn proud of it:grin:

woah that sounds just like me! let us know how it turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users