Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Legacy won't shift gears

Same friend that had shops hose him with a couple clutch jobs that didnt' fix his problem. I replaced the hydraulic slave cylinder a couple months ago with some help from folks here - thanks! That worked, but he's having problems again. I replaced the slave cylinder and hose.

It won't shift, the clutch pedal isn't doing anything so he has to drive by starting the car in gear and matching RPMS to shift - the clutch isn't doing anything. What can I look for? He's stopping by in a few minutes. I'm hoping it's something obvious like a rusted/leaky line or something. But i'm not a clutch/trans expert by any stretch and am really new to this hydraulic stuff.

Or is this a clutch problem - it's "stuck" in gear - throw out bearing?

Okay he just stopped by - reservoir was full - so it's not the fluid.

So - what else to look for?

AH - I forgot to see if the plunger on the hydraulic cylinder actuates when the clutch it pushed.

I can try to look at it again later today if anyone has any feedback.

He's paid for at least two clutch changes now, not sure what's going on with it.

Master cylinder was already replaced prior to me working on it and it appeared full.

Watching the plunger should rule out everything pedal/cylinder related right? If you push the pedal and the plunger is moving - then the clutch should be working?

He's had two clutch jobs so I'm a bit nervous about jumping into this thing for him.

2002 Leg Wagon EJ25 250,000 miles.

Does the pedal feel normal? Air in the system would give the pedal a mushy feel, like stepping on a pile of foam. In really bad cases the pedal will hit the floor and stay.

Definitely check to make sure the release fork moves full swing when you push the pedal. It should be something like an inch to an inch an a half of travel at the plunger. If it only moves a half inch, then it's cylinder related. Doubt the TOB would be the reason unless it's making an awful grinding noise when the pedal is depressed.

If there is any adjustment for the pedal height try moving it higher. I couldn't explain why but it may be that something slipped (incorrectly installed plunger) and the pedal throw is now insufficient to completely disengage the clutch.

It can't hurt to try bleeding the system if the release fork doesn't move like it's supposed to.