Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 transplant in 81 gl wagon

hippyloc

I had read on here that a 96 ej22 could be transplanted into my 81 gl wagon. I am in the prosses of tracking down a motor to slam in there, but I have never done this before. I want to make sure that I get the proper motor so that I don't have excess modifying to do. :-\ I am going to run my original 4sp manual trans, and later get a lift kit from allied armament.:grin: I am hoping to find a motor with the wiring harness and ecu. If anyone has experience with this or knowledge about the process, then please give advice.:)

• 3 months later...

I found a 97' OBS w/ a N/A EJ22. Picked up an adapter plate from SJR and am in the process of clearing out the shop. I am totally stoked about getting this EJ in my 81'. I haven't been able to find anything about it, but I want to try to use as much of the OBS wiring, interior on my 81'. I know that most all of the EJ swaps I have read about are OBDI's, but I am going to try to get as much of this OBDII in. Still have to get my totalled 82' GL out of the way before I can really get into it. Speaking of. . . I have an ad for parts, if anyone is interested. I am no tech, and don't have any welding experience, but I am going to dive in head first!:lol: If there are any suggestions or comments, please let me know. Hopefully I will document enough of this project for future interest.