Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Justy Carb replace

All '88 Justys came with two barrels (Hitachi DFC328), so if you have a one barrel, it's not original. Are you replacing it with another Hitachi from/for an '88? If it's used you will want to rebuild it before installation. Other than that the manifold nuts are a pain in the butt to get off, you might have to cut down a wrench handle.

I don't know where "Humboldt, Eureka area" is. I've seen reference to 1L, 1 barrel Justys.
Northern California

It is my understanding that only the 1.2L was sold in the U.S.

So chefgeoff, are you planning on swapping out an '88 carb? Depending on what your answer is, there may be more advice to follow.

Hi chef,

Take a look at this thread, and there's another there as well. http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=howtos&action=display&thread=2257

A carb kit and a gallon of carb chem dip will cost you about $50.00. A chem dip of your carb is probably required to insure it works right when back together.

Last Justy feedback carb I had, I replaced it with an ebay remanufactured for, I think it was $110.00. That was on an '89.

Doug

I just bought a new carb, so that is what I will be putting in, should be the same as the old one (I hope) The auto choke was literally just hanging off, someone had rivetedit on, and half the rivets came out. Mine (actually my girlfriends justy is a 1.2, and Ive never replaced a carb, but it doesn't sound too intimidating.... I hope its not too hard. Cheers to ferox for knowing where humboldt county is.:popcorn:

I just bought a new carb, so that is what I will be putting in, should be the same as the old one (I hope)
Check carefully, the '89 looks very similar, but has some differences. I can't elaborate since I have neither an '89 carb at the moment nor an '89 FSM

Ive never replaced a carb, but it doesn't sound too intimidating.... I hope its not too hard.
It's not, and BTW your carb is obviously not "new". Where did you buy it? You should check to make sure it is not in worse shape than the one on the car. It is easy to make a carb look new. Do you have a multimeter? I recommend checking the duty solenoid (DS) of the "old" carb while it is still on the car. The diagnostic in the FSM is almost entirely for a DS that is installed. I can post a photo of the diagnostic flow chart if you are able to use it. I also recommend using Gasgacinch on the base gaskets to seal it really good, especially since the carb is such a PITA to remove and install. Check to see if the factory installed aluminum plug was drilled out to allow access to the idle mixture screw.

Cheers to ferox for knowing where humboldt county is.:popcorn:
Hell yeah, I was a wildlife treeclimber for many years in college and spent many a glorious afternoon in the canopies of California Redwoods. I have been around the world, and NorCal and Southern Oregon are easily one of the most amazing regions in the world.

Y'know, whenever I went to Northern Cali I saw these little stickers on cars. They were of a golden five or seven -lobed serrate leaf inside a gold circle on a black background. What was that all about?:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...