Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pressure

I have an 88 Subaru H. B. with an 1800 overhead valve engine. Oil pressure used to stay at 50 to 70 lb. Now reads about 15 at 2000 rpm when engine is cold then sinks down to approximately 10 lb. when warm. Changed the "O" rings in the pump but still stays the same. The oil pump dosen't seem to be damaged. The valve lifters are still quite, and it runs fine. My question is, could it be a loose connection from the sending unit to the meter somewhere? Was looking at the wires and this wire ties in (it seems) with the temp sending unit. I also installed a new oil pressure sending unit. Car has about 177,000 miles on it. Any input?

Thanks, Subaguy

well, according to other folks on here, its somewhat common for the gauge to be faulty. actually 50-70 pounds sounds rather high for an EA-82, with your current readings being closer to the norm... mine idles at about 5lbs when warm and goes up to about 30 or so at 3000...

It has been my experience that it is not the gauge itself but the sender unit.

(three different Subes - is all I have for proof)

Much easier to change than the gauge and not too salty.(app 20 GWs)

It's right beside the oil filter. Make sure you get a sender unit not a switch.

Obviously many people will say put in a mechanical gage.

I like the factory and if you are worried, get one to calibrate the factory after changing the sender.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replys. I will try those ideas. There was another Subaru in the family at one time that the oil pressure ran 10 lb.+- and it never had a problem other than leaks. It's life ended when it got rolled.

This one must be getting lubrication or something would show up I would think. Once had a '47 Ford that when warm it would run about the same.

Subaguy

Am going to do a little more checking under the hood(connections, Etc.) and put an oil pressure guage on the pump just for my curiousity. Another odd thing that strikes me is that the oil on the dipstick dosen't seem to change color since I changed it this last time. It used to turn darker as I drove it.

Thanks everyone,

Subaguy