Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had it also on my Outback for 6 years and no problem at all and for the first 5 years I was changing the oil every 2 months. As far as one leaking I don't see how it would since it is a ball valve witch are not prone to leaking. All I do to it is wipe it clean before and after an oil change, it couldn't be any slicker.

i don't think there's anything special about subaru oil drain plugs, should be fine from a fitment point of view. might think twice if you go off road, see road debris, significant snow, etc - but i'm sure you considered all that already, just CYA you know.

Edited by grossgary

I've used a Fumoto drain valve on my Forsters for eleven years with zero problems. You install the Fumoto valve one time, then you can forget about under tighteneing or striping the drain plug, and keeping a suppply of "crush" washers on hand. The Fumoto is a high quality brass/stainless steel "ball" type valve. This is the same type of valve that ocean sailors trust their lives on. It is very unlikely to fail or drip. Highly recommended for street use. THe Fumoto may not be a good choice for off-road use. Then again, I see automotive off-roading as a potentially very expensive hobby. I use a mountain bike for off-roading, much cheaper and good exercise.

then you can forget about under tighteneing or striping the drain plug, and keeping a suppply of "crush" washers on hand. .
good point, if someone is doing those things then they definitely need a valve or just pay someone else to do it! :lol:

I see automotive off-roading as a potentially very expensive hobby. I use a mountain bike for off-roading, much cheaper and good exercise.
well said, what a few folks on here do with their cars definitely isn't average, a unique bunch in terms of cars. i "use" mine, it's not a hobby. my friends pay mad 4 digit amounts for their bikes and gear. cars are easy to buy and maintain cheap and still be insanely functional.

I started using Fumoto valve since 1984 or 85. I used them on 6 cars from VW, Ford, Nissan, 2 Toyota's and Subaru. The one on 1990 Nissan lasted from 1990 to 2008 when I sold the car. No leak except the one on the 96 Subaru. It leaks a few drops after each oil change. The oil leaks out not from the nipple opening where dirty oil normally drains out of, but from the gap where the spring can be seen. I never understand why. A few days after each oil change, I can see a few drops and wipe them off, never leaks again till next time I open the valve to change oil. No leaks at all with all other cars I put the valve on.

Edited by vasy