Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fumoto oil drain valve

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

Any reason that a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve with nipple, model F-105N, won't work on a 2000 4cyl OBW?

#2 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

They work, I don't like them. On a subaru they are too vulnerable to getting torn off.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,499 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I've seen a few of those valves get dirty and start leaking like there's no tomorrow. Those were all made by Fram though... :rolleyes:

#4 98obster

98obster

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Greeley

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

you have to get the right gasket combination and thickness so everything is in the correct position when tight. I got the one with the nipple but cut most of it off to stay above the skid plate.

#5 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

I've had one (Fumoto) on my 96 Brighton for at least five years. No problems and it makes changing the oil a piece of cake.

#6 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

I have had it also on my Outback for 6 years and no problem at all and for the first 5 years I was changing the oil every 2 months. As far as one leaking I don't see how it would since it is a ball valve witch are not prone to leaking. All I do to it is wipe it clean before and after an oil change, it couldn't be any slicker.

#7 2.5_IMP

2.5_IMP

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • CP, MD

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

I love my Fumoto! Do the hose clamp mod to keep the lever in place, or just get a skidplate.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,657 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

i don't think there's anything special about subaru oil drain plugs, should be fine from a fitment point of view. might think twice if you go off road, see road debris, significant snow, etc - but i'm sure you considered all that already, just CYA you know.

Edited by grossgary, 10 December 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#9 The Dude

The Dude

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

I've used a Fumoto drain valve on my Forsters for eleven years with zero problems. You install the Fumoto valve one time, then you can forget about under tighteneing or striping the drain plug, and keeping a suppply of "crush" washers on hand. The Fumoto is a high quality brass/stainless steel "ball" type valve. This is the same type of valve that ocean sailors trust their lives on. It is very unlikely to fail or drip. Highly recommended for street use. THe Fumoto may not be a good choice for off-road use. Then again, I see automotive off-roading as a potentially very expensive hobby. I use a mountain bike for off-roading, much cheaper and good exercise.

#10 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,657 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

then you can forget about under tighteneing or striping the drain plug, and keeping a suppply of "crush" washers on hand. .

good point, if someone is doing those things then they definitely need a valve or just pay someone else to do it! :lol:

I see automotive off-roading as a potentially very expensive hobby. I use a mountain bike for off-roading, much cheaper and good exercise.

well said, what a few folks on here do with their cars definitely isn't average, a unique bunch in terms of cars. i "use" mine, it's not a hobby. my friends pay mad 4 digit amounts for their bikes and gear. cars are easy to buy and maintain cheap and still be insanely functional.

#11 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Boston

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

I have been using a Fumoto on my 2001 Forester for 4 yrs.
I love it. Zero problemas.

#12 vasy

vasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Richmond, VA

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

I started using Fumoto valve since 1984 or 85. I used them on 6 cars from VW, Ford, Nissan, 2 Toyota's and Subaru. The one on 1990 Nissan lasted from 1990 to 2008 when I sold the car. No leak except the one on the 96 Subaru. It leaks a few drops after each oil change. The oil leaks out not from the nipple opening where dirty oil normally drains out of, but from the gap where the spring can be seen. I never understand why. A few days after each oil change, I can see a few drops and wipe them off, never leaks again till next time I open the valve to change oil. No leaks at all with all other cars I put the valve on.

Edited by vasy, 11 December 2009 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users