Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Size dicontinued? What to use instead?

Hey fellas,

Here in Vancouver BC, I have called all of the tire shops looking for my tire size - 185/70-13 and I am told that size has been dicontinued???? The closest replacement I can find is 175/70-13 but I don't want to go to a smaller tire. I have hunted for 14"rims (the white ones...steel old school ) but I can't find them up here either.

Can anyone suggest a good size for the 13's? Or do I have to go to a smaller tire size?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That tire size should not be discontinued. The only size tire I had trouble finding was 185/80/13 not 185/70/13. When I was looking for 185/80/13 I found a BOAT load of 185/70/13's, but only Les Schwab had the 185/80/13's. Of course all my experience is in the states, so I don't know about Canada. If you can't find a Canadian company to find tires, just go to a Les Schwab across the border... This will only work if you are close to the border of course. I think your tire store is just lazy and doesn't want to do any research for you. I would take my business else where. But that's just me... You would think that a store called CANADIAN TIRE would be able to get all types of tires, but alas, I have never had good luck with Canadian Tire. The store name seems misleading to me. BTW I lived up in Langley for about 6 months, so I had to deal with them.

Here's a link to the thread that I started about getting my new tires 185/80/13's... There's some useful info it for ya:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104450

Hope this helps!

We are screwed here in Canada. 185/70 and 165/80 (stock on the Loyale wagons) are now almost impossible to find. 175/70 and 155/80 are getting harder to find. The availability is particularly bad in snow tires. Shipping tires over the border is not much of an option, they might be available, but the cost is prohibitive when you add in shipping, duty, brokerage, and installation (at about $20/tire mounted and balanced because you didn't buy the tire from that shop). And taxes on the tires and all of the services except shipping.

I have 165/80-13 for my summer tires, as they get the most use, and I run the heaviest loads then. They are Toyos, who still make this size in their premium all-season lines. (they did last year, anyway....) I use 155/80-13 winter tires, but I run them at full pressure for the maximum load (35 PSI or a bit more) and then don't run the car at its maximum load, as the tires won't take it.

(Basically, I did a comparison of the load rating of the original stock tire - 165 SR 13 - at recommended tire pressures - 28 PSI normal, 32 PSI for high speed and heavy loads. The 155/80 at 35+PSI can handle as much load as the 165 SR at 28 PSI, but that is the limit. Being winter, I am not too worried about heat, which is what kills an overloaded tire.)

The drawback is that 155/80's are quite a bit smaller than 165/80's or 185/70's so your speedometer will be out by a good bit. 175/70's are pretty much the same diameter as the 155/80's.

If you can hold on until just after Christmas, Canadian Tire starts to put their snowies on sale. If the model is being phased out, you can get some good deals. But buy them early, as there will be no rainchecks on sizes that are sold out.

Good luck. And if you find a source of 165/80-13 snowies, let me know please!

Rob.

Edited by robm

Yes. He could. (It is about a 3 day drive for me.) But unless he has a good reason to spend a couple of days in the US, bringing the tires home will be smuggling. Declaring them will involve paying duty and taxes. This will save installation, brokerage and shipping costs, although if you count the time spent in the US (hotel,meals, etc.) as the cost of shipping, it might be cheaper to pay UPS...

Edited by robm

Yes. He could. (It is about a 3 day drive for me.) But unless he has a good reason to spend a couple of days in the US, bringing the tires home will be smuggling. Declaring them will involve paying duty and taxes. This will save installation, brokerage and shipping costs, although if you count the time spent in the US (hotel,meals, etc.) as the cost of shipping, it might be cheaper to pay UPS...

Or you just say you have been there for two days (48 hours to be exact). Even easier, DON'T MENTION/DECLARE YOU BOUGHT TIRES. They won't know or care. Of course this is illegal, but so is speeding, and I do that every day ;) I will only stop and pay taxes at the border one time (didn't know about the 48 hour rule), I learned my lesson, and they will never know what I have purchased now, that and I ALWAYS spend 49 hours or more in Canada, according to them anyways ;)

Off topic, but I got a Canada stamp on my passport :lol: It took asking three different times before they would do it, but I got one :grin: I just thought that was cool...

Get em installed in the US. problem solved lol.

Well I got a pair of 185/70-13s for the front...I like to keep all seasons on the back just for a little more action. Of all places, the only place that had them (and it was the last set and only at one store) was CANADIAN TIRE. They are Goodyear Nordic's. I have thought abnout heading over to the Les Schwab in Ferndale, which is only about a 2 hour drive, but there's the issue of smuggling - I'd have to stay there for a couple days to make it legal or I'd have to pay up. I guess a weekend of riding at Baker would probably be a good excuse. Thanks for all of your input, it is truly appreciated.

It's good to hear there are some decent people out there that won't break the law for cheaper tires! Props, you are a stronger man than me in that regard. I have smuggled a fair amount of goods to and from Canada, so it's just becomes second nature... Should I be saying this???? *Looks over shoulder, looking for the man*

I just got a set of Khumo studded snow 165/R13's for the justy.... yeah.. no aspect ratio listed at all.. WTF? They are bigger diameter than the 175/70R13's that I had on there before -- seem like at least a 75, maybe an 85 aspect ratio... significant rubbing on the fenders for a few days till the studs wore the fenders away...

165SR -13 was the tire that was original eqpt. on Loyale wagons here in Canada. And just about every other small car of the era. Replaced by the 165/80-13, which is close enough for most practical purposes. Neither are readily available in Canada. Toyo, Kumho, and Pirelli are about the only ones who have anything in this size, and it is not like they offer a lot of choice either.

I had a set of Hankook 714's in 185/70. They were bald at 25,000 miles. The Kumho's, 165/80, lasted about the same. I have Toyo Eclipses now, they actually have a guarantee. They have only been on a year, so it is too early to tell, yet.

Oh, and none of them were cheap. The 'Kooks and Kumhos were about $70 each, but the Toyos were about $90.

Earlier this year, I got some Hankook Zovac HPW-401 in the 185-70-13. "Studdable Winter Tire".

Pretty fair price from an online company I can't immediately recall.

They've been working great in the deep snow (now 6" thick ice:rolleyes:) we've had all this week in Tahoe.

I do agree that the 185 size is getting harder to find as time goes by, but not impossible.

If I can remember the place I ordered them from, I'll post here.

Just my 2 bucks

Edited by NV Zeno
spelling, grammar

Ha ha..well...a few years ago when my rock band was touring the US, we came out of our hotel as we were finishing our beers. One of us was peeing beside the van and I was just finishing the last couple of swigs of my beer when we were arrested!!!! We all got tickets, and had to leave the next day so we didn't get a chance to pay them...so I had a bench warrant in NY...I tried to pay it though and short of going all the way back to NY, I just couldn't. So...if I was to get caught at the border with something illegal, I think I might have a bigger ticket to pay. So...no I am not an angel. BTW - the tires are great. Fantastic grips...

I'd find a good reason to spend some time "south of the border" have them mounted and not mention it unless asked.

I remember a few years ago, taking a "getaway weekend" with my wife in Abbotsford and picking up a set of four Hakkis and having them mounted on my car before returning to the U.S. At the time, the Hakkis were not available here and the Canadian dollar was lower than it is now. So that difference paid for the motel and dinners and sight-seeing.

Plenty of R12" and R13" Tyres in our Market, but We are So Far...

... Can anyone suggest a good size for the 13's? ...

Yes, I Run in Both my Subies 205/60 R13 ... Those Compared to the 185/70 R13 are almost Identical, Same Tall except for an Inch Wider.

See This Picture I Taken with my Cellphone Long time Ago, when I Switched from 185 to 205:

LLantasSubaru.jpg?t=1260686462

Hope This can Help.

Kind Regards.

Plenty of R12" and R13" Tyres in our Market, but We are So Far...

Yes, I Run in Both my Subies 205/60 R13 ... Those Compared to the 185/70 R13 are almost Identical, Same Tall except for an Inch Wider.

See This Picture I Taken with my Cellphone Long time Ago, when I Switched from 185 to 205:

LLantasSubaru.jpg?t=1260686462

Hope This can Help.

Kind Regards.

Wow...205's!!! I didn't think they'd fit. You don't get any rubbing on tight turns? I used to have a jetta gtx that I put some oversized tires on and I ended up using a hammer to make them fit.

there's quite a bit of room in the EA82 wheel wells. on my lowered Loyale, I ran 215/45r17s on the street, 205/65r15s in the snow, and 225/55r16s on the track. These are all quite a bit larger than stock. as long as you have the correct wheel offset (not pugs or 6-lugs), they'll fit.

When it comes to snow tires, the wisdom around here says: "put on the tallest, narrowest studded snow tire you can." The studless ones work well too, as long as you go with the "tallest and narrowest" theme. Pity I can't get tall anymore, and even the narrow are disappearing.

there's quite a bit of room in the EA82 wheel wells. on my lowered Loyale, I ran 215/45r17s on the street, 205/65r15s in the snow, and 225/55r16s on the track. These are all quite a bit larger than stock. as long as you have the correct wheel offset (not pugs or 6-lugs), they'll fit.

Where do you get 15 to 17" rims that fit our pattern that aren't 6 lugs or pugs?

Hey fellas,

Here in Vancouver BC, I have called all of the tire shops looking for my tire size - 185/70-13 and I am told that size has been dicontinued???? The closest replacement I can find is 175/70-13 but I don't want to go to a smaller tire. I have hunted for 14"rims (the white ones...steel old school ) but I can't find them up here either.

Can anyone suggest a good size for the 13's? Or do I have to go to a smaller tire size?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

..tire-easy.ca or tire-easy.com