Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL w/ 3.9's

my 88 gl wagon has a 3.9 open rear diff..

the only car that i know of that had a 39.lsd was the fulltime 4wd xt6 and even that was a special order option..

hunt around and you might get lucky..

otherwise the only way to get a 3.9 lsd is get a 3.7 lsd and do some modifying..

this summer i'll be putting a 3.9 lsd in my 88 wagon.. i just got lucky and know where one is at sitting on a shelf :D

Look at my picture under my name, the is what the LSD tag looks like, a 3.900 LSD would look the same, but have 3.900 instead of 3.700 and a different part number. When you create a 3.900 LSD you keep the ring and pinion of the 3.900 and change the carrier (the part the ring gear bolts to). The picture the you show is of a stock 3.900 open diff available of every 4WD Suby that is not turbocharged. The rear diff on the Legacy turbo is a VLSD, and is really not a good diff to use if you plan to 4 wheel with your car.

Dr. RX, this car isnt for off-roading, i finally decided on that, im going to get a EA81 or older gen 1 brat for that, this is a street car, that is gonna be a s-curve car. mainly autoXing.

thanks for the heads up on what the tag looks like, now i know what it says.

Thanks again,

Shean