Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

87' Gl Wagon Blows the doors off an RX8

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 phantomcrooner

phantomcrooner

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • The mountains of Julian

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

I just had to share this. Last weekend i was coming home from the market and i left the parking lot rather quickly because i was trying to make the light at the intersection. When i first got in the car there were two guys a couple spaces away from me who's attention i attracted when i started the engine. I have an EA82 with 2 barrol Weber, custom dual exhaust with cherry bombs for mufflers, so it's a little on the loud side. When i started the engine they both looked over at me, then at each other and started laughing heartily, which was another reason i left the lot at an accelerated pace.

Well, they pulled out and joined me at the light, i was in the left lane, they in the right, still laughing, gawking and now revving their engine in the form of a challenge. On the other side of the intersection about 200 feet beyond, the right lane merges with the left. I goosed the engine a couple times to accept the challenge, then dropped it into 1st gear, in 4 low, and revved her to 4k. When that light changed, i went through gears like a homeless man through fried chicken and by the time the right lane ended they were a good 4 car lengths behind me. They just turned off in shame, i have not laughed that hard in a long time.

My apologies, it was an RX-8

Edited by phantomcrooner, 06 January 2010 - 10:57 AM.
Wrong title

#2 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

:headbang: i do that too, only it has to be snowing when i do it

#3 Ricearu

Ricearu

Official De-Ricer!

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • DFW, TX

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

I launched dirty on a few cars that way. They can catch up once I get to third, but usually are discuraged at that point that they got stomped by a 88 bread box. :lol::lol:

#4 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

wow my wagon wouldnt beat a bus. :banana:

#5 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

:lol:

#6 corvette6698512

corvette6698512

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Tumwater, Wa

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

wow my wagon wouldnt beat a bus. :banana:

No kidding. Mine has trouble reaching 60mph haha. Cool story.

#7 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Its even better when you have 30's and outpace a ricer. 4low ftw:burnout:

#8 corvette6698512

corvette6698512

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Tumwater, Wa

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

Im wondering if its a bad idea to jam through the gears in 4 low. It would sure help my gl if i could drive around in 4low(though hurt the half shafts and fuel mileage)

#9 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

I drive it in low, sometimes I don't if the pavement is stickey. Or if i'm turning around or something.

Here, dhip and seal surface is no problem. Blacktop, concrete, that kind of stuff, I put the passenger tires off on the berm in the loose stuff...or whatever, whenever it needs it.

#10 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

I completely toasted a brand new beamer in my '89 wagon ..... a few inches of slush on the road, and he was squirming all over if he touched the gas. RWD and wide tires. I floored it in 2nd low and just took off with the studded snows -- no squirming or anything.

One day of the year.... the other 364, it's an old station wagon no one notices :lol::banana:

#11 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

My '89 Sedan...I came to a stop light on a four lane before getting into Columbus. I'm in the left lane and a Viper is in the other.

I lanch hard and "go through gears like a homeless man through chicken":) I'm in 4th low, I look in the mirror and he launchs.

I go to 5th, then 4th High and 5th. Shortly after this, he passes me:burnout:

#12 corvette6698512

corvette6698512

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Tumwater, Wa

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

I completely toasted a brand new beamer in my '89 wagon ..... a few inches of slush on the road, and he was squirming all over if he touched the gas. RWD and wide tires. I floored it in 2nd low and just took off with the studded snows -- no squirming or anything.

One day of the year.... the other 364, it's an old station wagon no one notices :lol::banana:

Subarus early forms of traction control.... 4x4 and 84 hp ensures no tire slippage, even in those low traction situations. Good thread!

#13 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:06 AM

wow.i don't think my offroad ea81 could beat a crackhead on a 10 speed bike...

#14 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Subarus early forms of traction control.... 4x4 and 84 hp ensures no tire slippage, even in those low traction situations. Good thread!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
Actually, mine is the SPFI wagon, so it's a full 92HP :eek:

Oh, but at 5,400 feet elevation, and 240,000 miles, it's probably back down to 70 to 80...

#15 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

" so it's a full 92HP :eek:" And mine weighed less than 2600 lbs, with me in it. I shifted that one at 7000 rpm, and it was a healthy motor too.

Edit:But what if I had 4:44's in there and more power?

Edit:"I'd be going through gears like two homeless men through fried chicken".

This is it:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=155&pictureid=1532

Edited by Quidam, 11 December 2009 - 04:43 PM.
Add Picture.

#16 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,641 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:31 AM

OMG! These all made me laugh my rump roast off. Good reads, and funny stories.

From Homeless men and fried chicken to Crackheads on 10speeds. What next? Jerry Van Dyke on a Diet :lol:

-Tom

#17 phantomcrooner

phantomcrooner

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • The mountains of Julian

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

LOL, thanks for the write back guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users