Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

swapping my 83 gl wagon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mt.HOODrat

Mt.HOODrat

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Hood River

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

so i want to swap my 83 gl wagon. im sick of the tired old carbed p.o.s. motor. i wanna do a ej22. would like a turbo version, but im not against a N/A version. i could use my orginal 4 speed with a sjr adapter plate right? any suggestions on which ej's to use for my project? pros cons vs. turbo n/a swaps? i did a search, but wanted to be more specific... thanks

#2 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:52 AM

The search bar is your friend.

You would want a Gen 1 legacy motor and it would also be a good idea to upgrade your tranny to the dual range 5 speed. It is more reliable and can take the extra stress from having 50 or so extra horsepower.

Stick with the non-turbo, as it is easier to work with. And don't forget about the wiring harness that you have to modify

#3 SuperchargedRS

SuperchargedRS

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Earth

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

As far as the tranny goes we were just discussing what tranny is best with a EJ22 swap, if you do this make sure you replace the seals, belts and a water pump & thermostat while the engine is out.

CLICK
http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=107040

I ended up going with a 5speed pushbutton for my N/A EJ22 swap, the transmission itself looks to be stronger then the dual range (due to the 1 piece input shaft) and the "no look" engagement closed the deal for me.

The point for the dual range 5spd was if you are going to be running large tires.

Keep in mind that with that EJ22 your car is going to have about a 16.7 power to weight ratio (which is better then the new non-si civics, camry and even a C230 Merc Kompressor) so chances are you are not going to need the low range unless you doing something that is going to require big azz tires anyway.

Edited by SuperchargedRS, 23 December 2009 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users