Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Baja

Guest crazy man scooby

Guest crazy man scooby

i just got a 86' wagon carbed 5 speed DR and it has no rear glass so i'm going to cut off the back half of the roof and make it look like a Baja.

it's has 290K on the clock and it just got a blowen head gasket on the original motor. might fix might try to find a new one.

it might be some time befor i get back online i don't have steady internet as i need to get some new computer parts.

also have some wagon and sedan parts i need to get rid of please call if your looking for any thing.

i found two turbo 4wd wagons at a local parts yard one needs a drivers window and the other is in bad shap.

Guest beauregaardhooligan

Be careful where you cut, the roof makes for stiffness in the body.

You will probably want to add some braces or a roll cage/

Guest crazy man scooby

ok i got it cut. the cuts go just behind the rear doors. and level with the rear cargo door glass look just like a baja. i'll have pix soon

the alt is stock but i have a datson 280zx 100amp alt for it

• 4 weeks later...

how about chopping the roof straight across the top right where the top of the door window meets the pillar and roof.

cut along the body crease, the one 2 inches below the window, down the side of the car and even with the taillights.

do the same to a parts sedan

now put the sedan roof on what's missing on the wagon, put the sedan rear decklid and glass on the wagon.

hwve it where it seals up against the top of the back seats, use the bottom portion of the tailgate as the gate for a truck bed.

now you have a pass-thru, but the glass doesnt come out, just like the real thing!

i also have this idea to make a brat out of a wagon using a 3-door(ea82's)

well, josh, if we could get that wagon at maxtons, if that guy can decide he wants to come off it for a price rather than have it rust away with a broken timing belt, the yard in bryan ohio has a few ea81 sedans.

i would almost consider doing the gl-10 if it werent as solid as it is(by rust-belt standards.

call about that soob in fort wayne, it says "make offer" and all it needs is an alternator. i have like 6 of them. get them out the carbola before they get junked!!!

keep an eye out for 3-doors, because we dont want to chop the RX!!!!!!

Trying for something like this??

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/subaru/1/WagoBrat

Up until last year, that car was owned by the owner of the oldest Subaru dealership in central Ohio. He kept it in a barn and only drove it for events and parades. Apparently, it arrived at the dealership with damage to the rear roof, so he had someone do a custom job on the top for him. Then somehow it ended up on this used car lot almost 17 years later with something like 30,000 miles on it.

i think that's the same dealer jim got his outback from. its listed in the user appreciation dealers in Drive MAgazine.

i think it would look better if they used the sedan rear glass.....

how about a 2door model, using the c pillar of a 3-door without the hatch, on a wagon body!