Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Q: ej22 Engine Harness/ECU Removal

Hey guys/gals. Just wondering how difficult it is to just remove the engine wiring harness and ecu from a 90-94 legacy. Do I need to remove the dash, or can I just do some light monkeying to get everything. The purpose would be to install into a carburated ea82 car with the ej22 engine. But I want to simplify everything.

Thanks.

You have to remove the driver's side fender and removing the dash is optional but makes it a lot easier.

There are big differences between 90/91 and 92-94. Namely the location of the ECU, routing of the wireing, and the brand of the components (Hitachi vs. JECS). To make it easier get a harness from the same year range as you get the engine.

GD

As GD mentioned there are some differences between the 90-94 Legacies. The ECU is in the same location, but the main difference is in the wiring and ECU type.

So again, as GD suggested, it would be best to get the wiring for the same year as the engine.

As for removing the harness, you will need to remove the dash to get at everything. You'll most likely want to trim down the harness to just have the engine components, but to do this, you'll have to get the main harness out.

It shouldn't matter about which year as long as the wiring & engine are from the same year. However, I'd probably recommend the 92-94 non-turbo Legacies though since there is less confusion on the ECU type.

As GD mentioned there are some differences between the 90-94 Legacies. The ECU is in the same location, but the main difference is in the wiring and ECU type.

So again, as GD suggested, it would be best to get the wiring for the same year as the engine.

As for removing the harness, you will need to remove the dash to get at everything. You'll most likely want to trim down the harness to just have the engine components, but to do this, you'll have to get the main harness out.

It shouldn't matter about which year as long as the wiring & engine are from the same year. However, I'd probably recommend the 92-94 non-turbo Legacies though since there is less confusion on the ECU type.

Thanks boss, I didn't know the vehicle harness and the engine harness were tied together. This solves some confusion.