Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Covers for off road

backcountrycrui

Guys,

Ive been reading through posts all morning about using or not using the timing belt covers on my new ea82. The only problem is that I couldnt find much about the guys that run off road. I wont be doing much in the way of mud bogging or creek crossing, but alot of dirt roads and mild off road. SO WHAT SAY YOU about using them for DD / Dirt road runners

? I dont like the covers, thats for sure. Love being able to change the belts in less than 20 mins.

Thanks

Mike

if you're anal run them. if you're practical don't. there's no reason not to run them - it's all in your head. so - what's in your head? you're not going to get a clear answer, lots of folks that run them off road have replied - i offroad mine, no problem yet.

i had a timing cover come loose and rub a hole in my ATF hose which started leaking......so they're less reliable:lol:

if you're anal run them. if you're practical don't. there's no reason not to run them

+1. BUT...

I would say use them if your running where anything can pack in the belt, like snow, or thick mud.

nipper

i have to agree with Nipper on this one. I've had rocks and crap get in there and screw up the belt.

-Justin

with the poor tensioner design on the EA82s (not applicable on XT6s or EJs), the belts are bound to fail. regardless of whether you're on-road or off. The reason to run with the covers off is so you can change the belts in just a few minutes.

So, if you trust them to get you where you're going (not me! I've been left on the side of the road too many dozens of times by my EA82s), make them last and run with covers. if not, bring spares (both belts, both tensioners, and the idler), and tools, and leave 'em off. someone who knows what they're doing, and has all the parts/tools at hand, can replace one in about 20 minutes. My record is 14, including putting on my coveralls.

Everyone talks about failure and replacing the belts in short time, blah, blah, blah... Use new parts when doing the timing belts and they last. Use crappy or used parts and they will fail prematurely. I would not want any dirt, excess dust, mud or other debris anywhere near my belts or idlers. As far as covers coming loose... tighten the bolts... use loctite...

A qulity skid plate will only keep solid items out of the lower engine compartment. Muddy water still has free access to everything in the engine compartment. Ultimately, it is the individuals decision. To each his own.

timing belt covers will keep crap in there if anything does get in there.Stuff like mud that would have otherwise just drain out might interfere with the belts anyway.So the covers can keep stuff out but in the case of fluids might make it worse.Besides most EA82's and EJ22's the covers get eaten by the belts anyway.Once the covers are worn through they will let stuff in but it wont escape.

timing belt covers will keep crap in there if anything does get in there.Stuff like mud that would have otherwise just drain out might interfere with the belts anyway.So the covers can keep stuff out but in the case of fluids might make it worse.Besides most EA82's and EJ22's the covers get eaten by the belts anyway.Once the covers are worn through they will let stuff in but it wont escape.

What EA82 or EJ experience do you have?

i've had my covers off for i think about 4 years now maybe more. i've had 2 belt failures since then, the first one not sure why it went second one the idler froze, my fault for not investigating the sound. its been offroaded hard for going on 7 years now but its not a DD. but it is a part time DD. it makes it alot easier and faster to change out the belts with them off.

try it without and if you don't like it you can always put them back on.

but it is as was mention above, the ultimate decision is yours and yours only.

Water will still get to the timing belts even with the covers on, as there are holes in the bottom of them. And how would rocks even get to them? The radiator and grill protects from the front, the car itself protects the sides, and i dont think that rocks will randomly jump up off the ground... just get a good skid plate, and you will be fine.

There are about 8 of us that have ran with the belts open, only one time have we had problems, and that was Woody, the 8" lifted car, he was driving through snow and it got built up on the cam gear and knocked the timing off, he was pushing snow with his bumper, the good news was it took 4 sec. to put it back on.................

Jeff

Well it covers off for me. This wagon that I just picked up is now running and I dont think I will bother putting the covers on ever again. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Ill be taking it down to Rob in Bonney Lake on Wed. He's letting me borrow his timming light. Damn those things are expensive.:lol:

Thanks for all the responses

Mike

+10 for no covers.. ran mine with no covers for the last 7 years and have had NO problems with it. We even dropped a screw driver down in there at 2500 rpms to see what would happen. it spit the screw driver back out.

The pros of no covers:

You can check your t-belts every time u check your oil just by looking down.

Takes 5 minutes to put new belts on when/if they break

You dont ever have to worry about the captive nuts in the inner covers spinning and having to "extract" the bolts out of them

Easier to tell when you have a cam/crank seal leaking

Belts dont get coated with oil/coolant when you do have a leak

Run without covers it'll be the best thing you've done to ur car :banana:

If you expect to drive in any deep snow, or any mud......I vote for running covers.

Good condition covers, well sealed.

Use zipties to secure the outer covers if captive nuts spin.

I have and still do run in deep snow and mud, hell i've even have had them submerged.

Never have had any problems with my covers being off.

But to each there own. I'm just saying.

If you expect to drive in any deep snow, or any mud......I vote for running covers.

Good condition covers, well sealed.

Use zipties to secure the outer covers if captive nuts spin.

Been watching this thread and I gotta agree with covers on.

All it takes is one piece of whatever to get between the belt and pulley and bad sh*t happens.

All it takes is one piece of whatever to get between the belt and pulley and bad sh*t happens.

no it doesn't. the engine quits, you get out, grab 22mm and 12mm sockets and a spare belt. and it's running again in 10 minutes or so.

and with or without covers, EA82 belts fail much sooner than the subarus with hydaulic tensioners. it's been many years since I've tried to depend on an EA82 every day, so I couldn't tell you the cause of every failure, but I always used new belts, and almost never had leakage issues.

Like I said, running without them is conceding that they're unreliable, and that you'll be prepared to replace them wherever you have to be. It might be possible to get them sealed up well enough, and get the belts tight enough that it wouldn't be necessary, but my efforts were never successful.

It might be possible to get them sealed up well enough, and get the belts tight enough that it wouldn't be necessary, but my efforts were never successful.

Had you ever stuck a 12mm socket in the access holes in the covers and loosend then retightened the tensioner? The spring will pull up any slack in the belt.

You have to put a bit of clockwise rotation pressure on the crank while doing this. But it really helps to do it every 10k or so on EA82 belts.

And there are those out there running interference EJ engines.......they should DEFINATELY run with well sealed covers.