Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Covers for off road

backcountrycrui

Had you ever stuck a 12mm socket in the access holes in the covers and loosend then retightened the tensioner? The spring will pull up any slack in the belt.

You have to put a bit of clockwise rotation pressure on the crank while doing this. But it really helps to do it every 10k or so on EA82 belts.

I haven't. I never trusted the spring.....I did occasionally check/adjust the tension, but I always put some extra pressure on the tensioner while I did.

And there are those out there running interference EJ engines.......they should DEFINATELY run with well sealed covers.

definitely. I would not run any EJ (even a non-interference one) without the covers.

Has anyone cut the center cover in half so it can be removed without doing a front end teardown and used zip ties. I know if its got the silly clutch fan its still a pain but I was looking at my ej22 thinking why not on a ea82? I'll bet it wouldnt be so hard to get a fine cut with a japanese hand saw and use aluminum ducting tape to seal it up (not the regular duct tape).

Just a question, I havent had an ea82 for 4yrs now.:)

i have to say use the covers if you have them because it takes alot more time to replace idlers water pump and all that ************ when they get ************ bult up in them and break. i use me subaru in extreme off road situations including mud snow gravel you name it and the covers have saved me plenty of times and i dont feel it takes that much time even with the covers on. if you spend a little extra time protecting them then you wont have to replace the belt as often.