Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 Big Trouble More Info

Thanks for the last.

Main Pulley is on a Rubber Hub! (Like an Outboard Motor Prop Hub). EJ22 was not like this!

Appears that the pulley on the EJ25 let go and drilled inward towards the

time belt cover.The A/C belt wore off. Alternator belt too tight?.I was not

horsing the car and I only drove it a short distance for a safe landing.Going

to check the timing marks on the Tbelt behind the covers.Could I have

jumped a tooth? She won't start now.Turns over but no start.

Pricing out a pulley.

:-\

Harmonic balancer. My ej22 has it, I'm not sure which ones should have it and which ones didn't but I've seen a few that are one way and some the other.

Crank but no start. Do you have spark? Id suspect damage to the Crank angle sensor, but a broken belt due to debris getting in under the belt isn't out of question.

Got a scanner you can hook up to see if you have any codes?

Cam sensor is the one that would cause a no spark.. Crank sensor controls fuel pump pulses. Cam sensor controls Fuel injectors pulse and coil reference pulse. You could have jumped time, if that is the case, you could have bent valves. The way these engines are designed, the Thrust bearing on the crank, even if it did fail wouldnt let the crank walk back that far. I think you actually broke the center of the pulley out of the rest of the pulley. A keyway falling out, or degrading would cause a wobble in the pulley, which could cause abnormal wear to the pulley itself and make it shear off the part where the crank bolt tightens down.

Either way, pull the pulley off and look at it. takes 2 minutes to do. Take off your belts and ac belt tensioner, take a 22mm socket and a big breaker bar and brace it against the drivers side bottom of the core support. make sure the bar is tight against the core support (bottom radiator support for those who arent familar with the terms) now go bump the key to start for just a second and then shut the ignition off. This will break the crank bolt loose. Now pull off the pulley and investigate.

Hard to say - at this point the timing belts need inspected.

So it ran fine one day then didn't the next? Did it "break down" like quit running or just wouldn't start one day?

Need to view this as "how much damage did this pulley cause" rather than a straight up no start condition.

There's a few things that will cause a no start and the crank sensor is a common one.