Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Testing for hydrocarbons?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gijoe985

gijoe985

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Seattle Washington

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hey all,

I've got a pretty complete shop and I do quite a bit of car work on the side. Something I do not have, nor do I know the exact direction I want to go with, is something to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant. Or maybe check in the exhaust?

And suggestions? Should I get a 4 gas analyzer? Or something to check the coolant for contaminants?

Both general tool suggestions as well as specific brands or links would be appreciated.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

Plastic bag and a canary over the radiator neck...... that's how we did it back in nam before I lost my leg. :lol:

But seriously - northern tool has this guy:

http://www.northernt...18179_200318179

I doubt it's that accurate and I'm not sure I would trust it for tuning, etc, but if you just want a pass/fail on HC's from the radiator I bet it would do that job alright.

For tuning, I have a wideband O2 sensor as it can remain on the vehicle when driving under various load conditions. They are also around $300 for the entry level stuff.

GD

#3 Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Yacolt,WA

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

Here is what I've been using :
http://www.napaonlin...1006_0254158357
purchase price won't break the bank,and the refills are cheep enough.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users