Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SPFI EA82 behaves like carbed engine! Where is the second under dash test connector?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jelly man

jelly man

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Orem, Utah

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:57 PM

I just got a 87 dl SPFI wagon. I open the throttle at low rpms and it loses power unless I let off. In short just like a carbed engine. I tested the throttle sensor, coolant sensor, air flow sensor, air control valve and timing. All are within specs. I already found the two green test plugs under the hood and used them to set the timing. I started to check the memory codes and I can't locate two test connectors by the control unit under the dash, just one. Where is the other connector and does any one have any ideas what could be causing this problem?? It's just a little worse when the engine is cold if that helps.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:09 PM

on spfi models the green test clips will be under the hood, on the driver side firewall where the wiring harness comes out

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:19 PM

Jelly, your "read memory" (probably white in your case)connectors are above the master cylinder in the hood hinge area.
Note the "test mode" (green colored ones) are in this location also I believe.
These green connectors must be plugged together to properly set or check the timing?? You said you checked this?? Something does not compute??
One thing you didn't mention is the 02 sensor.
Watch the 02 monitor LED on the ECU to see if it's working.
On a warm engine it will flash randomly -
----------
no unless it's disconnected it will not set a code in the ECU
good luck,hope this helps

#4 jelly man

jelly man

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Orem, Utah

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:53 PM

My 87 subaru shop manuals shows them being under the dash some place. I looked under the dash and can only find one white one there with a tee configuration(two terminals like -| ). Strange enough there's one like it by the green test mode plugs under the hood but not a matched set there. There is a matched set of single terminal white plugs in that location. Are those the read memory connectors?

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:04 AM

the clips under the dash are for TURBO models. skip corrected me on this a while back(i assumed 88+ was under the hood, jims spfi wagon, and 87- were dash, my 87 turbo wagon) , now i pass it along

turbo under dash

spfi under hood

xt(and 6) in the trunk under the rear deck (thx qman)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users