XT6 rear backing plates hubs and calipers
XT6 front hubs complete with brakes & rod ends etc
EA81 control rods reamed out to take legacy balljoints
brake lines off XT6 plus assorted spare clips an stuff that came with the brake lines
axles i cut and shortened
the rear end was pretty straight foward apart from having to shim both caliper carriers outboard by 4.5mm so that the carrier was centered on the disc.
the front end gave me a few more problems.
first off if your doing a swap on an EA81....USE 16 INCH RIMS OR BIGGER....i used 15 inch rims and had to machine up 5mm hub spacer plates for the front so that the XT6 steering rod ends miss the inner corner of the 15" rims on full lock.
axles i made from legacy ones that i cut 85mm out of the middle of and sleeved and welder back together( had to cut the axles with a cutoff wheel on a grinder...the ceramic tip on my partoff tool for the lathe wouldn't even touch them...they are VERY VERY hard)
i had to machine the steering rods to allow me to put another 30mm of thread length on the rod(14x1.5mm thread pitch)....which allowed me to cut 15mm off the end of the rod...the XT6 steering rod ends had bottomed out on the thread about 6mm short of enough toe in and didn't allow enough thread to put the locknut on the rod.
i got the top hats off a pair of EA81 struts and swapped them onto a set of 2WD impreza struts...just had to file the flat spot in the hole in EA81 round...and fitted them to the XT6 hubs...with a 6lb club hammer and a 1" dia punch:grin:...they are a bit of a tight fit.
i also had to push the strut tower with a hydraulic jack and pushing form to expand it on the outboard side to allow the strut top to come out as the suspension comes up
also had major issues bleeding the brakes...but i think this was my fault for not following the proper sequence i.e. corner to diagonal corner
i also had to get longer brake lines made because the XT6 ones i had were too short to allow full steering lock at maximum suspension travel.
got a steering alinement done yesterday...( my 8x2 plank and ruler 'get me to the tyre shop' alinement was only a 2.1mm out on the left side and 3.4mm out on the right side:lol:
after a couple of very frustrating and busy weeks i'm finally on the road...and it drive's really nicely...
there's a couple of things i still have sort out...i have a 'clonking' noise in the right front side somewhere when i hit largish bumps...having a look for what that is tomorrow...and i don't like the feel of the brake peddle...it stops 'ok' and will lock up the fronts...it takes alot of pressure on the peddle and and the peddle feels....odd...can't really explane it more than that
next move i think is to fit a larger master cylinder to see if that sorts out the brake issue....then its time to dust off my supercharger...and become nameworthy again:banana:
and i lost a couple of days in the middle because my GF ended up in hospital with gall stones...one very unhappy lass at the time...but all better now
i have pics of the axles i modded but can't upload them cos they are too big...so heres a link
http://s458.photobuc...tud swap stuff/
Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby, 18 December 2009 - 10:25 PM.