Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MotorVac Carbon Cleaning Treatment

Go down to your local community college and see if they have an auto program, and if they do, see if they have a carbonclean machine, we have one @ LBCC, and we charge $20 for a treatment. It works too, I did this to my Legacy, swear it gave it 20 HP and it bumped up the mileage a few MPG too :-)

If you can't find a CC that will do it, I'd look arouind, as I've seen it fro as low as 60 bucks, 140 seems way steep to me...

I had it done on my 97 OB about 3 or 4 years ago. It worked. It solved the low rpm hesitation / stumbling that I was suffering from. My car is noted for running rich (as I found out) and hence carbon is a problem, even in this day and age of ECU's. Strange but true. Also, be sure that your O2 sensor is in good shape. Mine tested ok, and I did not have any codes, but after I changed mine last year, the 'carbon' problem slowly cleared itself.

I paid around $100 or $120 Canadian. Definitely look around for better pricing.

Commuter

Thanks Syd.

I did a little more searching and it turns out Jiffy Lube has a service too. They all call it something different.

I'm debating whether to drive the 10 min. to Jiffy Lube or wait til the weather changes and make the hour or so trip to Trexlertown.

I've never had a prob. at Jiffy but I keep hearing horror stories. I'll have to sleep on this one.

I cannot say if Motorvac works, since I haven't tried it.

I can however vouch for RedeX products. They make fuel additives suited to most engine configurations (Diesel, Carb, Injection..) and don't cost $140!

I have witness Redex cure low speed roughness/hestitation in my own car, and two newer VW's. Problems that STP products couldn't help.

If you can get a bottle of this stuff, I would strongly recommend trying it before shelling out the dough for a Motorvac.

Originally posted by SevenSisters

FWIW, Click and Clack called this the "wallet Vac".

The Motor Vac subject came up again this weekend on their show. They said they have a Motor Vac machine in their shop and claimed that it works fantastic on applications that warrant it.

As mechanics themselves, they're sensitive to other, unscrupulous mechanics selling unneccesary proceedures to unwitting customers. That might have been their beef in the previous example.