Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clay county 4x4

frogstar7055

I laughed when I saw the two worthless H2s.

Go to 1:00 in the below youtube video.

Watch the end of the same video.

Looks like the guy oversteers the back end then just stomps the brakes......the ABS let's him roll right off the road.......then roll again :lol:

Yeah, maybe an H1.

but all an H2 is is a glorified chevy suburban and an H3 is a glorified chevy trailblazer, they are nothing like there big brother. the true hummer not a rebadged GM product. they are no more capable of a 4x4 then whats under there yuppie bodies.

both have weak rack and pinion steering systems, very weak inner tie-rods always need replacing. thats probably what broke on the first H2. :lol:

i would know i've lifted and repaired enough front ends on chevys, dodges and fords to know.

Edited by chazmataz

It takes a lot of work and mods to make a subaru capable off-road. Less so with the forester, but I'd say MOST stock 4x's are "better" just with ground clearance alone. Now the hummers are as heavy as a tank, and not nimble enough to go where we can, but at least they won't high-center in a pot hole. Don't get me wrong...my car is fun as heck off-road, (not so much on-road!) but it took a lot to get there. That said, and to get back on topic:

How was the run? Pics didn't show much of any obstacles, really. :)

How much does it cost for us to make our subarus so they can go where all the other guys go?

For a subaru to do decent offroad it needs bigger,more argressive tires.And a welded rear diff.

lets look at costs:

jeep built to same level

jeep=5000-10000

liftkit= 1000-2000

Tires= 800-1500

so then at the minimum

5000+1000+800= 6800

Subaru

Subaru=0-3000

liftkit= 600

tires =0-600

so then

1500+600+300=2400

difference

6800-2400=4400

So while a subaru may be lacking in ground clearance or whatever stock it doesn't take much to get them to perform where 75% of all other 4x4's are built for-general 4x4.

besides a built subaru can be bought for less than the 4wd OPTION on some vehicles.

That tells me a subaru is a better wheeler out of the box because you don't have to spend much to get them to function offroad.So what if it wont be a mud dragger or rockcrawler, for the amount you save by starting with a subaru you very well could turn it into a mud dragger or rockcrawler,etc...

Remember the average lift kit for you average 4x4 ends up killing flex in order to fit bigger tires.Not talking 4links or what not.

lets look at costs:

jeep built to same level

jeep=5000-10000

liftkit= 1000-2000

Tires= 800-1500

so then at the minimum

5000+1000+800= 6800

So what jeep are you talking about? you can get a cherokee for around the same cost as a cheap subaru ($500-1,000). you can get a lift for same jeep for around $400-800 and they will do just as good as a subaru only with better center clearance.

Subaru

Subaru=0-3000

liftkit= 600

tires =0-600

so then

1500+600+300=2400

on the other hand i did my lift for nothing just used odds and ends from around our shop. a buddy of mine welded my diff. got the wheels for free. i won't mention how much i got my 235-75/15's for though.

So while a subaru may be lacking in ground clearance or whatever stock it doesn't take much to get them to perform where 75% of all other 4x4's are built for-general 4x4.

Remember the average lift kit for you average 4x4 ends up killing flex in order to fit bigger tires.Not talking 4links or what not.

it doesn't take much to get most other rigs to out perform a modified subaru.

what do you consider your average lift kit and what do you consider your average 4x4. subarus don't have much flex to begin with so in reality we are not gaining any flex with our lifts and in some ways that subarus are lifted kills some of the little flex that we do have.

so do you have any real experience in real offroading and been around other real 4x4's? i go wheeling with jeeps some stock and some modified, land rover defender once in awhile( this is a very capable 4 wheeler stock and slightly modified), a highly modified and bobbed chevy truck, highly modified toyota and some misc. other rigs thrown in here or there. my 86 wagon keeps up pretty well in most cases enough to complete surprise some of the new crowd and piss off some too. :lol::banana:

A Subaru will never out wheel a Jeep (or a Hummer) BUT with little modification can be made to WAY out perform it's intended function

are you talking about a stock subaru? i have out wheeled jeeps and samuris before. with my modified 86 GL wagon

Edited by chazmataz

The post was about a bunch of guys off road in the woods having a good time.

Got turned into a pissing match over Subaru vs anything else off road.

Glad I don't suffer from these issues some seem to have.

It does kind of suck when threads about having fun turn into arguments, but a few key pieces of the thread will make it happen every time. First of all, the first picture that was posted has 2 large Hummers, the very kind that most people think are super lame, and secondly your quote of:

Say what you want but the fact is from the factory Hummers are one of the most capable 4x4's you can get.

That is obviously going to stir the pot a little bit. I do apologize for making a comment about the Hummers when I should have said something like "oh that looks like a lot of fun" or something, but again...the first picture:lol:

The post was about a bunch of guys off road in the woods having a good time.

Got turned into a pissing match over Subaru vs anything else off road.

Glad I don't suffer from these issues some seem to have.

Well all i have left to say is:

Nice pictures for even at night. looks like you had a well rounded mix of off road vehicles and glad to hear you guys had a good time.

i usually don't have the chance to take pictures when i'm night wheeling or i don't think about it because its usually in the snow and cold (atleast this time of year).

BTW. Was there any carnage?