Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip II: TrashWagon's RETURN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! When I wrote the last post, I didn't know the RX was a hatch. I've since looked at a few more pictures. (I am assuming we'll be leaving the subwoofer box in Indiana...)

I have, in fact, toyed with the idea of picking up a Subaru eventually (or some kind of Toyota 4wd) as I'm moving to New Hampshire in a few years with the Free State Project ( http://www.freestateproject.org ) and they get snow like you wouldn't believe. And I'm from Wisconsin!

Hell, I'm even inclined to throw a set of rally lights on the front of my Camry. Bear in mind, I'm pretty heavily invested in the 1987-1991 Toyota Camry wagon. I have three of them, all navy blue. One driver, two for parts, one of which used to be my driver until a red-light runner nailed me. On top of this, I've talked five of my friends into buying them, for a total of eight among us.

The week before Miles' swap meet in Indiana, I'm heading out to Washington to cover the first annual Toyota Van Rally. Remember those old Toyota forward-control vans? Turns out they made a 4WD version that's quite capable. See http://www.toyotavans.org for more info on that. For a rally vehicle you could camp in, you can't do much better than an old Toyota van. Plus, it's genuinely surreal to see these little spaceship-looking boxes trek over rough terrain.

Also, I am fairly decent buddies with the owner of a small salvage yard not too far off our course (I believe you're planning on taking I-90 up thru Wisconsin, which goes through Janesville). I know he had a running, driving, fully loaded Brat a while ago. If a parts need turns up during the first day of travel, we have a solution. Hell, it's only ten miles from my folks' place, if Day One sets up that way. It may be more advantageous to make as much time as possible. I'm looking at the map and making a list of interesting things to see along the way. I know of, for example, a giant pink fiberglass elephant at a Citgo station just north of Madison...

The DVD will be available through my website, which, sadly, is still in development (I need to register the domain). I will also be having a premiere, hopefully, at the UW/M Union Cinema sometime in May. If I can get it together.

I'm also thinking of having the boys at Song Fight! ( http://www.songfight.org ) run a contest to generate original music for the soundtrack. From the pictures, I've ascertained that Mr. Fox has a taste for Nine Inch Nails...any additional stylistic preferences? (Most of the sound will be incidental audio. The Roof of Boom, for example, must be in the film)

-Tim Hansen

would you know it, i was bumpin Nine inchNails: Closer at wcss5. the guy with the $13,000 hatch felt inclined to turn on his 6x9's as if to compete with the mighty ROOF OF BOOM. oh yeah, the cd is waiting with the car, i should bring a copy of DAFT PUNK: HOMEWORK (would be good for sountrack)

as far as getting a subaru, i would prefer it over the toyota, moreso that the subaru is more versatile with parts swapping, you can make an astounding rig with the right combinbation of STOCK subaru parts, subarus are modular, and multi-configurable

for example, trashwagon6: its a GL-10 mpfi turbo. it had a spfi block, with a earliar model carb. the front axle broke, so i ran in 4wd, the rear axle live. i bent the rear suspension, so i swapped on 5 lugs in back. so the last time i drove my car before throwing in an xt6 tranny and legacy 2.2 motor, it had 4 lug wheels in front, 5 lugs in back, a 3.7 final gear tranny and a 3.9 rear differential

so how far can you go with the film. as in independent festivals? indie film network? how long would it be? gots to have some DAFT PUNK in the soundtrack. wouldnt it be cool to find an animator to throw miles fox in the fur into the mix? i think some cuts of cop chase scenes would add to the effect(like a prequel, re-enact the first half of the adventure

i would like to plan the itenerary according to the first trips mishaps, such as air in fuel lines in chicago, the broken axle in onalaska/lacrosse exit quick pick gas station(cops involved), our luggage falling off the car in minnesota, the girls we stopped to help in their stranded SUBARU FORESTER (we left them alone, cause the sheriff was on the way) and the GAS TANK RUPTURE in south dakota, we get out of the car, robert goes "look the gas is leaking" and went inside. there i was laying in a parking space sized puddle of GASOLINE, with my finger against the hole in the gas tank, waiting for him to come out and help, all the while people are moving their cars out of the encroaching puddle of gas.

also, off the side of the road front wheel alignment in BUTTE montana, the narrow speeding escape from the montana patrol, and the green subaru that we passed us in montana, we passed him in idaho, and he passed us in washington as we were running out of gas.

i am going to think of how i will present myself in front of the camere, my style of dress, and my clever "catch phrases" myoss feece and iu can put on quite a show with the verbals! probably a lot of fat girl speak will be directed at me, oh well

i think the film should be at least 2 hours, as you know it wont be boring!

anyway, i just made 200 bucks working on cars today alone, so now i am sitting on $450 in the bank, and 75 in my pocket for the WV trip

As far as music is concerned, I'm still not quite sure what the legality of everything is. As this is a documentary, incidental audio is fair use under journalism laws. I'm keen to see what I can drum up for original, royalty-free stuff.

Now, Fox, don't think too much about how the lot of you will present yourselves on camera. More than anything, I want to capture the natural state of affairs for you guys. I'm also interested in rustling up interviews with other figures in your life to provide a running counterpoint to certain anectdotes. Your boss, your mom, certain officials from Gibault, etc.

As far as how much will be done with the final product, there will be several permutations. First, there will be a 10-minute short for certain film festivals with time constraints.

Second, the feature-length documentary, which will be around 2 hrs. in length and be sent to any and all film festivals it's eligible for. If they pick it for Sundance, we go to Sundance. If they pick it for Cannes, we go to Cannes. (Shoot for the moon, I say).

Following from that, I'll be putting together a DVD and selling it through my website. The DVD will have special features like a Miles Fox art gallery, extra unused clips, some version of your web content (especially the history of your cars), maybe a lexicon of your lingo, and probably some other cool stuff. I'll work out an appropriate cut of the action for you once I know how the business will break down.

I will also explore the option of a miniseries format for cable markets, unlikely as that is. But we'll see. The form of this, as with virtually all documentaries, depends on what we actually get shot.

For the cop-chase scenes and other such "foreshadowing", what I was hoping, Miles, is that you could crank out renditions of your adventures in comic form. It wouldn't be animated (hand-drawn animation is ungodly expensive) but I think it's ideal; it puts the focus directly on you, your art, and your experiences. I mean, you're a heck of an artist. Let's use that, thematically. This is, after all, a portrait documentary of Miles Fox.

Depending on how well things go, I'll probably get some T-shirts and posters printed up, too.

the trip to trogg in west virginia

yeah the rx is front wheel drive so I guess now it's just a beefed up 3-door right corky? :D j/k It is running good and has survived a trip to c-bus and back. the drivers front boot is torn no bigger than a fingernail, next to the clamp, and has a small wet spot around it from leaking grease, it will be fixed promptly after the trip to west virginia.

rear axle is also sporting a torn inner boot on the drivers side, if the axle were installed it would be on the drivers side. will be taking the rear axles along as a worst case scenario situation where a front axle is broken. I don't see any problems in the near future as long as it is fixed in time for the big road trip to trashwagon five and back.

the big trip

I would be fine with taking the rx and reliability wouldn't be questioned at all. Although I see your point miles about the headroom issue. I will be letting Zanny Dook take the wheel for some interstate driving and a stick shift crash course. I just hope he don't crash my car. I think he'll do fine though. I will be manning the wheel on the big city and congested areas of interstate travel, but Zanny Dook will be navigating and taking a CRASH COUSRE in out-of-state, insterstate sign reading.

However it is all on him to drive the tw5 home safely, and if he misses a sighn he can always watch to see what an RX does, lanecahnges, etc. I will be useiing my blinker and driving in a defensive/cautious fashion for the sake of Zanny DOOK, WE CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE HIM OR THE TRASHWAGON. will keep everyone posted on progress.

if i could find the camera i would have a pic of "multi configuration mode" of the RX. i have this idea that when one side or the other of the back seat is folded down, the camera can be mounted and face either the driver or the passenger up front. maybe a 'pod mount to raise it up enough to see out the window/hatch

can you handle a trashwagon!? dont worry, its all fit for travel. suppose you drive and let zanny dook ride with myoss feece, to give him a break. we can rotate who is with the interviewer, and keep 2 people to each car, you could get exclusive interviews with each individual, in rotation. give everyone a chance to tell their personal story and all, to add to characterism

To get an idea of how some documentaries can be so entertaining, try to find a copy of Hands on a Hardbody. It concerns a competition to win a Nissan pickup truck over in east Texas. The beauty of it is the people, ordinary kooky folks thrown together in extraordinay circumstances. Very ironic statement,predictions about the upcoming event were taped in the begininng - nice approach. Then asking folks how they were preparing, if they had a 'training regimen', etc. Funny stuff.

Also, there is a PBS (IIRC) doc about 'noodling' - catching catfish by hand.

Also. the doc about spelling bees called Spellbound is OK. An old doc called Gizmo is cool but uses stock newsreel stuff with some narration.

I've enjoyed a lot of the First Rights movies from Hollywood Video rental - I think they have a systen for promoting indie-type stuff.

Really - Hands on a Hardbody is a hoot!

Originally posted by MilesFox

i am going to think of how i will present myself in front of the camere, my style of dress, and my clever "catch phrases" myoss feece and iu can put on quite a show with the verbals! probably a lot of fat girl speak will be directed at me, oh well

You too huh (about the fat girls)

lol

damn them......

You know, I would have bet this ended up off topic. I think they invented this catagory for you Donald. I started up the Trashwagon. Runs as well or bad as it ever did. Throwout bearing is making more noise and the ultra dead battery hasn't revived even with new acid and 4 days on the charger. Went dead disconnected in 1 day. Winter didn't do it any good, or harm for that mater. I think by listening to it I am sure I can get it to Troy. It is still full of parts and the roof of boom is intact. This is one movie that will either be the snoozer of the year or the hit of WCSS6. You are going right? You will love Utah and Nevada, the only way to get there without going to California and staying OUT OF IDAHO! Of course there is the Canada to Washington then Oregon route, you can cut north in Montana. Very scenic. I will head down to the TRI-Cities and then straight out 84 to Hood River, a piece of cake. Had to drive the reverse to bring the '82 home from San Diego. Got her dug out of the snow and ran her around the parking lot a little to oil up the seals. I found the Idaho plates and you have the registration. They are legal until July 31st. She is as ready as she will ever be, now let's get it together and make that trip. As far as what you are doing for work, beats jail and dope dealing and a bunch of other things I can think of. It don't smell or itch like fiberglass either. See you when you get here. :headbang:

everything is all set to go, 2 weeks away, and i am within 50 bucks of my goal to save, the rx has been reliable for the past 4000 miles.

i have an extra battery. i can bring a throwout bearing "just in case" as i would not be afraid to replace it off the side of the road, if it so needed to be

we will be installing a roof rack on the RX, and we will borrow the rear trailing arm off my car because the wheel baring started to act up coming back from WV with a motor, trans, fenders, and head in the back

I am learnig how to drive stick thanks to Myoss Feece, Plus I Dont have any bad vibes about this trip I know its not going to be nothing like the last one. This time we know what to expect and we made a pact saying if anyone gets arrested that we wont leave anyone behind. This wookie knows its going to be a trip that we wont forget.

Zanny Dook (Chewbacca)

yeah if miles goes to jail and I am in a situation to where I can't wait for him to get out then he already knows that his car is coming with me, so regardless of his person, his car will be safe at home waiting for him to come and get it.

oh yeah Miles if you get locked this time, you know I will claim on the trash wagon and make it a myoss feece "classwagon"

As you know I haven't had a wagon yet and can't wait to get one tho j/k.

Zanny Dook chewbacca, good to see ya on the board, will deffinately holla you boys later.

Originally posted by myossfeece

oh yeah Miles if you get locked this time, you know I will claim on the trash wagon and make it a myoss feece "classwagon"

Hmm...Now all you have to do is get it and it's yours!

Josh!