Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help to permanently disable alarm in 2002 Subara Outback

I want to permanently disable the keyless remote alarm on my 2002 Subaru Outback “Bean” model. Both remotes are finicky and work only “occasionally.” So I’m usually remaining annoyed and embarrassed when I have to use my key to unlock the Subi and scare everybody out of their pants with that “overly loud, unnecessary” honking. And, yes, I know to do the following as instructed in the manual:

It says to: "set valet mode or just to disable the security alarm system: 1. unlock all doors 2. Physically open the driver's door 3. hold the UNLOCK button on remote for 2+ seconds or so. The red 'security' light will then flash 2 times a second until the car is turned on."

Here’s the problem: If your battery runs down b/c you’ve left a dome light on or not fully closed the door, you have to go through the whole procedure again. Also, in “valet mode,” you still have to look at that flashing red light all of the time, and I believe that it contributes to draining the battery.

Again, I have two “finicky” remotes, both of which my local Subaru Dept. supposedly repaired. After one week of their repair, both are not working again unless they “feel” like it. Sometimes I can get one remote working long to go through the disarming process again. Ideally I need new remotes that Subaru wants several hundred dollars for. Their Service Dept. cannot fix my remotes permanently (they say they have), but, again, they stay fixed for a week. Yes, I’ve changed batteries many times. The remotes are just plain “bad” and too expensive to replace. Anyone who has paid $32,000 in 2002 for a new “top-of-the-line” Bean would understand my frustration at not feeling they should have to pay $700 a piece for new remotes.

I just want to use my key manually from now on to lock/unlock the door. But I can’t without the honking. The local Subaru Service Dept. tells me that they’ll have to research whether it is possible to permanently disable the system. Why don’t they know? After one week, they cannot tell me if it’s possible. That’s so unacceptable. I want to permanently disable this stinking alarm system myself so that if my battery dies, Im not trying to go through the disarming process again with remotes that probably won't work long enough to do it anyway. I’m not too lazy to just use my key. Can someone please help? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I know, ancient thread, but I'm looking to do the same thing.

My 2002 OB came with just a key, no fob.  We've been avoiding using the power locks to keep the alarm from going off.  Mildly annoying, not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to use the power locks.

I just replaced the fuel pump, changed the oil, and regreased and booted a CV axle and the security light in the middle of the instrument cluster is blinking.

Anyone know how to disable all this?  I looked under the kick panel on the driver's side one time and didn't see any obvious alarm/security module.

start here with the FSM... I would download it so you have it handy - sometimes the site goes down.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy%20Outback/2002/

Thanks, already started with that.

I started the car with all the doors closed and the security light stopped blinking, so the immediate problem is solved.

Still would like to remove the alarm completely, doubt the FSM spells out how to do that.  I should look back at my notes from when we swapped the H6 into my 99, can't remember what we did with that.

Following.

Still trying to sift through major renovations of the 07 Tribeca I just picked up. But I know eventually, I will need to deal with this because, at least where I live, no one would want to steal it anyway.  <_<

And I'm just fine with a key. never had no car with no "security system" anyway. 

Speaking of which - I have a bunch of new OEM remotes for your 2002 Subaru, they're not hard to find good working condition ones. 

In general dealer parts prices are astronomical after a few years on many items, some times not even available (like a part I look up this morning that's only 5 years older than yours), what you're describing is common.  car buying americans have buying habits that create and sustain this market.  If Americans didn't buy the way they do - the market couldn't sustain it - but it does.  

but it doesn't matter - it's just helpful to know this is an industry wide possibility and be a little resourceful - if you see a high price just look somewhere else. on another car the remote might be cheap but something else will be expensive...etc.  

• Like 1

Thanks, already started with that.

I started the car with all the doors closed and the security light stopped blinking, so the immediate problem is solved.

Still would like to remove the alarm completely, doubt the FSM spells out how to do that.  I should look back at my notes from when we swapped the H6 into my 99, can't remember what we did with that.

In the wiring section, there should be wiring diagrams for the security system...

there should also be a section about the system - for my 02 Forester, it is located in the "Body Cab & Accessories" section under "Security & Locks" - it describes where the module is located... as well as diagnostics for the system.

between those, you should be able to figure out how to remove it.

Or, pick up a couple of remotes from ebay or whatever... the FSM should have instructions on how to program them to your car

+1 On beside the stereo. But I have had an 01 outback that had the same system but it was mounted behind the ashtray laying flat. Also if it is that system, you unplug it and be done. Alarm will be disabled but the remote fob will still be usable.

If you remove the security module, you'll have to install a jumper - the security system disables the starter when it is in alarm mode, and you need the jumper to enable the starter.

Not for the 2002 H6 OBW I did. Unplug and drive.

you should state which year/model you know for certain and how you know, as the systems aren't the same for every Subaru ever made and he's taking about a specific year and model.

Guys, remotes are not that expensive.

IDK why the OP here thinks they cost  first "several hundred dollars"  then by the end of his post it's "$700 a piece"

Something doesn't add up.  These don't cost that much.  Pretty sure I paid $68 for the last one I bought from the dealership.

You can use generic replacement from Autobone or whatever.  Just have to program them right.  It's one step above a garage door opener people, not rocket science compared to all custom work and efforts that go on here on the board.

I personally just don't understand the "me no understand, Hulk smash puny alarm system" type of thinking.  Not for something so easily and readily solved by spending a few bucks.

• Like 1

It's not about smash and tear, it's just Subaru alarms are troublesome at times, and not very well made. I have dealt with about 8 different Subarus from 1997 to 2003 that have had very odd and intermittent problems. The ALPINE system used in some of the models from 99 to 03 that I know of, (maybe even later) seem to caused more problems than not. They are a very simple system to remove and not have to cut or hack anything. And the remote key fob still works.

Not trying to persuade anyone to pull it, but if it is a problem, it's very easy. T hats all.

I'm with Gloyale - except I thought Subaru doesn't have those remotes any more - but yeah used ones are cheap.  Keep two properly working used ones, replace if one fails and you'll never have to worry about it again and you're talking $30 in cost. 

I only disconnected mine because it was causing a drain and eventually started going off randomly.  

• 9 months later...

start here with the FSM... I would download it so you have it handy - sometimes the site goes down.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy%20Outback/2002/

This link is broken. I currently do not have a FOB that is programmed for my car (nor can I figure out how to program another to it) and the alarm is going off and has engine disabled. Neighbors are getting pissed every time I open the door it goes off. I'm stuck without an operational car. How do I shut down the alarm so I can drive the car and reprogram a new FOB? 2002 Outback H4 2.5L manual transmission.

This link is broken. I currently do not have a FOB that is programmed for my car (nor can I figure out how to program another to it) and the alarm is going off and has engine disabled. Neighbors are getting pissed every time I open the door it goes off. I'm stuck without an operational car. How do I shut down the alarm so I can drive the car and reprogram a new FOB? 2002 Outback H4 2.5L manual transmission.

Try this:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2002/

You can always just start at jdmfsm.info and find your car.

On our car, if we don't use the power locks, the alarm doesn't turn back on.  If you do use the power locks, you have to turn the ignition on and off about a half dozen times until the alarm stops.  Hope that helps.

don't lock it until you get a FOB

cars101.com has programming instructions which is relatively easy to do at home with your 2002

buy a used FOB/remote and program it and you're done.