Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Forum? Sticky maybe? Or slippy maybe?

WJM

Hey mods and everyone...i was thinking, since we have a following of the EA82T so much lately..and its seemign to grow more and more, maybe we could have a separate forum for the EA82T...or maybe this:

Factory turbo engine: EA82T

Or some otehr name thats better tha what I can come up with...

A forum to deal mosly/only with the EA82T, performance issues, problems with it, ideas, projects...things of the sort. I think these threads get lost easily in here, since the general forum has so much other traffic.

What do you guys/gals think?

Yeah, this new forum, listend under the SUBARUS section, like...say under the newer gen forum, would be for the EA82 Turbo only. For discussions on Performance, maintinance, troulbleshooting etc....notihng like wheel bearings, A/C issues, headlight bulbs or what not....

Pistons, oil pressure, temps and such would be what its all about. HP! TQ! MODS! BOOST! Fuel, air, ECUs!

You turbo guys just want to leave us! Well, fine! Go have your own little party! Us naturally aspirated folks will be here when you come running back with your intercoolers between your legs!

:D :D

(just some good-natured humor! this is not a flame!)

Well, now everyone will want thier own forums. Offroad Forum, Street Forum, Turbo Forum (EA81T/EA82T seperate Forums?), NA Forum, Hack Forum, Beginners Forum, Advanced Forum, Add Infinutem. See what I mean? I think we can keep it all in the Old Gen forum so we dont have to keep jumping around. In other words, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)

Rob

Don't forget the UltimateRobForum:D

But an EA82T forum gets my vote, as I have no interest in justys or EA81s .. Nor to I have the knowledge to be of help to owners of those cars. I also know very little about subaru carbs, never having owned one.. I would still pop in to share my vast wealth of SPFI knowledge:lol:.. But turbos are what I know best, and it would be nice to not sift through a dozen posts asking "where do I get lift kits".. or " how do I get a weber"

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

ITs a good idea, but if we did it for EA82T's then we might as well do it for EA81's and EA82's (which are alot more different than EA82's and EA82T's). Then it would get cluttered and would make it more confusing for newcomers who don't yet know they have a EA82T.

-Brian

Brian i am going to challenge that by making a point.

ok, if we had a turbo forum, and you say might as well have one for ea81 and ea82.

But a lot of your ea81 is hitachi carbbed, as well as 3 years of ea82. the only exception would be SPFI. si carb and FI, no need to distinguish between, either carb or spfi, tbelts or pushrods. and parts will swap between, such as hitachis, or even spfi on ea81.

But the turbo forum, however, would be a different beast, like dual ports, certain sensors and symptoms, specific to turbo models only. may as well have ea81t there too, being similar with its mpfi layout. maybe call it "Turbo Models Forum", if there were so, i dont think there would be confusion about "TURBO" vs ea82t for newcomers

and seeing that a lot of posts are turbo specific, i dont think its entirely a bad idea. one more forum shouldnt hurt, keep the turbo forum within the old gen forums.

if its something that is not necessary now, the idea should at least be considered should the board have to change its layout or whatever, due to growth or traffic, afterall, this board is going places, keep the road ahead paved.

I agree with Dennis, a general turbo/performance oriented forum would not be productive.

And it could be redundant as we do share problems with our N/A brethren.

Will, if you email Donald maybe he could show you how to start your own board like he did.

Then you can be the administrator and set the all of the forum topics.

There you have a win win situation.

Good luck.

I aggree on keeping this place from being a NASIOC look alike...BUT...

IF we have enough support, which we seem to have..the EA82T WILL be technologically advanced enough...and I have not seen a reliablity issue that warrents a dissmisal of it having it's own forum within The Older Generation of SUBARUs.

I kinda dont want to start another board, jsut for the turbo. Little traffic, even if there is a link. Id love to have it within the USMB, afterall, its got high traffic. We turbo guys are looking for people with ideas, and high traffic means more exposure, and more ppl with ideas to drop in a suggest, and other improve on ideas made and w get a finnished product for the engine...or something to that effect.

Skip: can you email me the specifics about what you were saying about Donald and his board?

Once again, i stand behind the creation of a sub-forum under the old gen sube heading, and its heading woudl be soemthing along the lines of: EA82T (Turbocharged 1.8 L OHC, 85-91) Engine Performance Disscussion

Infact, what was the last year of the EA82T? 92? or was it 91?

The problem is, if we have a EA82T Forum, we'd need sub forums for every EA series, and then it would branch off to EJ series. And you might say "no we wont" but yes... we will. Cause justy owners will get butt-hurt that they dont have their own forum. And then the EA81 Guys would start... then the EJ guys would get wind of it, and be like "well, i dont want my SOHC EJ25 associated with the DOHC EJ25, so we need seperate forums". Then next thing you know, we have 20 forums... 4 mod's that are left to sort through 20 forums, moving topics from "Meet & greet" about their new EA81... to the EA81 forum, cause they have no idea what a EA81 is.

K.I.S.S

Thats what im about. If i had my way, we'd have 3 forums:

1) SUBARU'S

2) FOR SALE

3) Other Stuff

There are plenty of programs and scripts available to organize a EA82T database. Also, there might be some new features in VB we dont yet know about, that will help the users organize themselfs with special projects... kinda like this.

A sub-forum, im affraid, is not the answer.

-Brian

I have a couple of ideas to allow us to have it both ways.

is there a way we can have the handful of sub forums, say EA82T Tuning or Suspension or Carburetors, and have them cross reference and feed into the general OG forum? meaning they'd exist in two places on the index, but if all you read is OG, you'd still have access to every thread that can also be seen in the focused areas.

Or, a way to add a forum selector to specify any forum outside of OG, and everyone can choose in their options if they want the classic/present view or the new/categorized view.

since the only people who would use the new style will be the ones who WANT to read the USMB categorically, it won't be confusing for people who don't use it.

I think that for usefulness towards focused research, a categorized forum has the advantage, and if there's a way to use both styles, then that to me is one less reason not to. I'm going to look for a hack to do such a thing, it's got to exist.