Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rochester carbs

Well, no, but the idea is thus...

It's a massive carb with huge venturis and such. It requires ALOT of air coming through it to get an accurate ratio. (idle of a small CID vehicle might be a prob)

you *could* get it to work if you rejetted it right, had a right kind of acc pump and power valve in it.

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by Partsman

Sounds like a headache! Rochesters in general are a pain in the behind. I think it would put too much fuel out for the engine mainly. I can't believe someone had one on a Ford in the first place!

I believe he's talking about a two barrel made by Rochester. Most people only think of the Rochester Quadra-Jet which is a fantastic carb but gets a bad rap for silly reasons (mainly because people don't take the time to tune right).

I've been doing some studying in a book by Doug Roe all about Rochester carbs. He breaks down the each model and what performance application they are suited for. Based on what I've read so far, it is very doable to put an American made two barrel carb on the Subs. In fact one of the write ups that is linked to this board suggests it for somebodys airplane buildup.

Bill

not a rocester, but something other than a weber, i had the idea of using a hollet 2bbl i had, and to grind out a 1/2 thick chunk of aluminum to match the carb, and have it tig welded to a hitachi manifold. i had all the stuff, its still around somewhere....

I believe he's talking about a two barrel made by Rochester. Most people only think of the Rochester Quadra-Jet which is a fantastic carb but gets a bad rap for silly reasons (mainly because people don't take the time to tune right).

Cool another Rochester guy!

I'm not sure which Rochester he'd be talking about, especially on a 2.3l Moustang motor. I'm going to install a Holley/Weber on my '83 here pretty quick. The other fun option is the bigger holley two barrel that ford used. The 350cfm units are pretty easy to come by, but they also make a 500cfm.

No taprackready, I was talking about the Dualjet carburetor which came stock on small block V8's and V6's in the late 70's (mine was a 79 Malibu 267 V8). The main problem I had with mine was the throttle shaft wore out its bushings and caused a vacuum leak. I still say that the CFM these carbs were designed for will cause an overrich condition on an 1800 engine!

I agree with an earlier poster......nothing wrong with an RPD carb.; if you work it over first.................but on a Sube?......Why?

I have gone over 100 mph in a standing 1/4 mile with a Q-Jet I worked over.........drove it to work everyday too.........got 14 mpg!

The Dual-Jet is a POS.............I would avoid it. A better carb would be the 2G model.........but they are in high demand for the retro dual and tri-carb set ups used on early inline sixes and "bent eights".....................

Miles has a good idea.............2bbl Holley or Autolite/Motorcraft carburetor........very simple design and easy to work on.............a TIG welder and some aluminum stock................I would love to get involved in that project..............

Keep an open mind folks...........:D