The only problem i had with the wiring was connecting the starter solenoid wire to the power wire for the ECU.............found that everytime I turned the key on it started cranking.....swapped the wires around at the joiner and everthing went like clockwork.
The Brumby is running a EJ22 with Legacy 5spd Hi/Lo ratio gearbox with the RX locking centre diff and RX crownwheel and pinion. Custom lengthened driveshaft and original front 1/2 shafts with the inner DOJ consisting of the original inner race, cage and balls with a Legacy outer housing. This enabled the original 1/2 shafts to be fitted to the large stubs in the front diff.
I used a EA82 gearbox cross member and modified it to fit the Brumby, it uses the original EA82 gearbox mounts. Since the EA82 cross member steps down on one side where it mounts to the floor I put in a spacer. All it took to modify was a angle grinder, some gas for heating and a big hammer.
For the shifter I used a EA82 and shortened it up a bit then cut and welded a WRX short shift gear lever onto the EA82 assembly......works great with a nice short shift.
For the Hi/Lo lever I used a Legacy cable shifter, just took a bit of angle iron to adapt this into place.
I mounted a set of Legacy Hi/Lo solenoids onto the firewall and the wiring harness for the ECU (which is mounted in behind the heater) passes through a hole I made in the firewall, while the fuel pump and power relay wiring pass through the original rubber grommet on the passenger side.
I used a Toyota fuel pump (I've had it sitting around for about 10 years and finally found a use for it) and mounted the pump where the original was mounted and then mounted a Legacy fuel filter bracket to the back of the cab panel. I pulled a fuel line from another Brumby and routed it beside the original fuel lines to act as a return. The vent pipe is also connected. For a return in the tank I removed the tank and soldered a new return fitting in.
I heated and reshaped the swaybar so it would go around behind the gearbox, then had it re heat treated. The exhaust just fits between the swaybar and the floor, but when you accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd, the exhaust comes down far enough to vibrate on the swaybar, so I need to space the swaybar down about 5mm or so.
For the exhaust I used the front pipes off a legacy joined into a collecter and the rest is 2 1/4" pipe to the muffler at the rear.
For the intake I used a late Subaru 6 cyl plenum box (should've fitted the 6cyl.....it would've fitted according to my ruler), this is flipped upside down to get the intake pipe on the right side. the breather, IAC and crank vent nipples were cut from a Legacy intake pipe and plastic welded to the plenum box. The air cleaner box is from a '92 Nissan Maxima with the Subaru airflow meter fitted to it. The intake pipe was custom made from exh tube.
For wiring I got the whole harness from the '94 Legacy the motor came out of, I then opend up the harness and removed all the wiring that wasn't required ( i used the Subaru wiring diagram to sort this out). I kept all the Legacy diagnostic plugs, and all the wiring I wanted to keep I cut at the plug or joiner that would give me the longest length of wire.
For the alternator I cut open the Brumby wiring harness and shortened the wiring so that now the alternator wiring comes in from the battery side.
The igniter is mounted on the L/H inner guard near the airflow meter. I replaced the Brumby fuseable links with a Nissan Maxima main power fuse box, which gave me a couple of new main fuses, one I used for the ECU the other I used for the cooling fan.
I used some multi pin plug and sockets (seen above the brake booster) for joining the Legacy wiring into the Brumby wiring, all guages work (except for the oil pressure, as I need an original oil pressure sender unit, my old 1800 didn't have one on it) the warning lights for Hi/Lo work and I have to wire a light in for the centre diff lock. For some of the power wires for the ECU I used the Brumby coil + wire and cooling fan + wire. (I need to draw all this up for my future reverence.)
I haven't connected in a vehicle speed signal and it doesn't seem to matter at the moment.
Edited by kiwishooter, 23 December 2009 - 09:26 PM.