Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen1 Brat Fender search

I had the fellow at my favorite junkyard check which fender I could use to replace my right one.

He didn't have any thing in his yard but his computer told us that any car or brat 78-83 would interchange.

Would this be correct?

Thanks

Steve

i believe you're looking for 77-79 wagon/sedan/coupe or 77-81 brat.

Thanks, that is much better info than I got for the junkyard computer cross reference. And that explains why the '80 sedan I found had a different fender than I was looking for.

At least now, when I call around the more distant yard, I will be better imformed before drive there to look it over.

The real problem, I'm finding, the yards crushed most everything that was older than '80s. The worker that took me around said they had recently crushed a couple Brats. What a shame. I'm told there where only 92 thousand imported. Not sure if that is true but it seems like a very small number in 'Import Terms".

Thanks again.

Steve

I sure would appreciate that. I'm about an hour away but eventually I plan to head down there with my tool box. I've searched the yards in this area and none have any thing older than mid 80s. One yard worker just told me that they had just crushed two Brats last month.:mad:

Steve

I called the Chehalus yard today and they had sold one of the Brats "whole" and the Right fender was gone on the other. I ask about a 77-79 car and she said the only one they had with a fender was an 80, which wasn't going to work..

I may go down there tomorrow and browse around. I need some other stuff as well.

Thanks,

Steve

That could be said for most yards. However, that often works to the buyers advantage, I have found. When if comes to negotiating the final price, I just remind them that "you wouldn't even know you had this part, if I hadn't gone and looked!". Or "Better my money or then crusher"!

If the weather clears today, I'll go check it out.

Steve

Well that was a wasted tank of gas. What a bunch of Jerks..

They had a Brat with a right front fender that was more bondo than fender. Wanted too much and had a take-it or leave-it attitude. Then I found an air cleaner can for the 1.6 presently in the Brat and he wanted $30 for it, then insisted I take it back to the car if I wasn't going to buy it.

Maybe their all not like that but this guy was.

Steve

The shame of it is, they have a nice (90% tread) tires that will fit my F150 truck and when I went back to the counter to ask a price, I got him again. He seemed to go out of his way to "serve" me. The price was close to what I had in mind but I wasn't going the "haggle" with him or his attitude.

Steve