Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help!, auto tranny posessed by demons...

Burning incense and chanting has so far not helped.

Anyway, 91 2wd Loyale when shifted from Park to Drive there is a lag of about 5-10 seconds before the transmission will engage. Gear engagement isn't harsh, and once it does engage it works fine, no obvious slipping or anything. Fluid level is ok and it behaves the same hot or cold. We've had the car for several years and this is a fairly recent development. Any ideas?

Thanks

i have noticed that subarus tend to stall up the torque converters before actually engaging. maybe the valve body is acting slow, until it finally builds enough pressure.

these are just ideas, i dont have much experience with autos other than changing them out, turning them into 5spds!

Its 2wd, so its a 3AT.. Miles is on the right track with the building of pressure thought.. perhaps it is time to change the fluids and clean/replace the filter on the valve body..I seem to remember that these are supposed to be nonserviceable.. but I could be wrong.. don't have my FSM here to look at..

I noticed with my last 2wd 3AT that it was a little slower to engage when cold.. I just chalked it up to being an old car.. it wasn't really noticably slow.. just a little slower than when warm..