Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Lake run January 17th or 24th???

cmiller

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an 08 WRX with STi springs.. So, it's about an inch lowered, and the exhaust sits kind low! If I put the stock springs on it gives me about 6 inches of clearance. I'd love to go but don't know if my car would make it anywhere.

Would it be worth trying??

Robert

Is this something that a non-lifted 1st gen legacy could do? I would love to come out and play and meet everyone, but I have a huge fear of getting way stuck.

You should be fine as long as you stick to the open hard pack stuff. Plus there are alot of us lifted rigs there that could pull you out. Just be careful and choose you lines wisely.

Edited by cmiller

I've got an 08 WRX with STi springs.. So, it's about an inch lowered, and the exhaust sits kind low! If I put the stock springs on it gives me about 6 inches of clearance. I'd love to go but don't know if my car would make it anywhere.

Robert

I would be worried if it was lowered. But if you can get some more clearance you might be fine, put on some Tein gravel springs or something. I would suggest the same as any other stock height vehicle and that is to stick to the open hard pack stuff, no going back in the trees on the rooted trails or in the loose deep sand, and choose you line carefully. But again its you car so do what you want. It would be fun to see a WRX open up on the hard sand! I would also make sure you at least have a beefy skid plate on and you also need to mount a orange flag on the car. I know the Honda shop in South town Corvallis on 99W has some.

Edited by cmiller

Robert

Hey, I'm in Corvallis too.

And Most likely going on this trip.

Gotta get the EJ18 into my lifted 84 GL.

Yes, the honda shop in South town does have flags and OHV permits.

Give me or MrGLegacy a PM if you want to get toghether.

Is this something that a non-lifted 1st gen legacy could do? I would love to come out and play and meet everyone, but I have a huge fear of getting way stuck.

You should be just fine for most stuff..except the really soft stuff..

Bring an air compressor if you have one...

Also bring a shovel,

a couple peices of 3/4"plywood X a couple feet in length and about a foot wide.. this works great if you get stuck in soft stuff...this way you'll have a platform to drive on and get moving..works great..

Edited by scoobyclimbs

OK.

Finally fixed the bent control arm and radius rod from the trip home from WCSS 11. Modified radius rod plates for increased clearance (no more boat anchor effect backing up in mud)

Removed the dead EA81 (crank case FILLED with coolant, no blown plugs freeze plugs :confused:)

redrilled Flywheel for use on EJ

Stripped my 93 Legacy donor harness.

Now all I gotta do is install the EJ and wire it all up for the Trip:banana:!

Less than a week! :banana: :banana:

Pretty stoked for this one. Think it's cause minus some I wish could make it (Mike take the day off!!!!).

We got us the best group in a long time for down here in the Oregon. :)

So for those that have CB's installed. What channel? We should figure this out before hand just because. So we can be tuned in on the way as we get closer.

Using the date (17) is out as that is the normal over the road and base station channel around here. So it'll be busy already.

We use 22 for the PNWbackroads runs. Always seems to be clear except for us. And those guys are not doing anything on the coast I know of this weekend. (they run monster radios, if they are anywhere in the PNW chatting we'll proly hear it :lol: )

And anybody with a Cobra (like me) turn the dang SoundTracker off! It squeals like a pig on transmit. Just ask Gregg. :lol: Even Cobra admits that was a mistake.

For those that don't have a CB. I'd recommend if it's possible, to put one in.

Not required, but the group almost ALWAYS seems to get split up at times out there throughout the day. Once I ran across two that split off hours earlier only to find them buried and in need of a pull. If they had a CB they could have called us (well just me, I was the last one out there and went to look for them) for help.

Just sayin. :)

Ok, everybody back to work gettin' thier Soobs ready. :grin:

Cb..yes I've been threatining to do that for too long I think I wil. Gettin bumpers done this week I think and just finished installing boxed out gusseted control arms with "shaved" sway bar mounts! I bent some a coue weeks ago and haven't been the same since. I'm excited an lookin forward to this weekend!

I would be worried if it was lowered. But if you can get some more clearance you might be fine, put on some Tein gravel springs or something. I would suggest the same as any other stock height vehicle and that is to stick to the open hard pack stuff, no going back in the trees on the rooted trails or in the loose deep sand, and choose you line carefully. But again its you car so do what you want. It would be fun to see a WRX open up on the hard sand! I would also make sure you at least have a beefy skid plate on and you also need to mount a orange flag on the car. I know the Honda shop in South town Corvallis on 99W has some.

I think we're gonna be in Tillamook on the 17th anyways, but I don't think I'll take the WRX out this time. Not sure about the clearance. I may put the stock springs back on and look into an aftermarket skid plate beyond the plastic one that comes stock. And, I have no idea where I'd want to mount an orange flag. I'm intalling a hitch reciever soon, maybe I'll figure something out using that..

I'd love to explore the coastline with someone though. If someone wants a rider one of the next times you guys go out PM me and i'll join you guys!

Cool! 22. I'll set it to the channel in the morning to be ready. :)

*oh and I didn't mean everyone HAD to have a CB. But it is nice to have when you are going to have the possibilty of needing help and just for smack talk on the dunes. Awesome you guys jumped in with and/or willing to add them. :)

As for my prep.

Just got my H4 conversion done and had to rewire the headlights (Subaru did a bang up job with how things backfed into each other with anything other than a 4656, even once I rearanged the wires to the right terminals, dang common+ switched-, not anymore!). All new heavy duty Hella relays and 10ga wire with xtravision H4 bulbs, and 14.8 un-choked volts at the bulbs. Like a nuke went off on the road in front of the old GL now with a sharp cutoff. :banana:

Still gotta do the high beam circut but that'll be fast now that I have my method down.

I think I'm gonna stay past dark and play for awhile out there sunday. :grin:

Or maybe I should just brave it and camp sat night out there. :lol:

There are those less insane than I trying to talk me out of it but I think I'm gonna do it. (my Fiancee hates cold weather camping and just grumbled about it.)

If so I may go for this campground. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/tripplanning/tillnewp/camp/derrickroad-ohv.shtml

Those who have been there know this is the area way in the back. Always thought it would be cool to camp there and the winter coast weather will be broken up a tad from all the trees there....?..... hehe

Shouldn't be too crowded in January!

Edited by TeamCF

I think I might have to be in on the camping.

Installed the EJ18 with an adapter plate onto the 4spd D/R(I know, I know:rolleyes:) And dropped it into the wagon today.

Tommorow is wiring, wiring, wiring.

Cool. :)

I'll know more about if I'm gonna camp as it gets closer. If it's just supposed to be super nasty out there sat night I may (maybe) pass on the idea. But some rain will be no problem for me. It happens in the NW. If the tent seems like a bad idea I'll just sleep in the car.

I'll keep up on weather and such.

Looks to not be any worse Sat night than it will be Sunday so far: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=pacific+city%2C+oregon&searchType=WEATHER

Been wanting to get some winter camping in. Won't be snow, but it'll do.

Could wander up into the coast range and just find a spot. But I figure it'll be easier to just spend the $15 and hit up one of the campgrounds at SL being it will not be crowded like it is in the summer. :)

Ahh, you can swap out the 4spd as it's convenient. :)

This will be great, even without a soob for me:mad:

daredevil1166 and i are staying near Barview Saturday night, we were thinking of going to TSF on our way out there on Sat.

If anyone is interested in roaming around with us on Saturday PM me.

It's ok, you got a nice Toyota. It'll add a bit of flavor. :)

I looked around for some of the Barview campgrounds.

The one I looked at was the same $$ as the area at SL I'm looking to stay at. (see link above) But it dispersed. So you still pay the fee. But there are no "marked sites" So we could spread out, cram together however we felt. Without some park host coming along and making each of us stay in our spot or something.

Just a thought.:)

The spot you guys have picked out may be different than the one I looked at up in Barview though.

I wanna be able to get some night runs on the dunes in as well (till 12am anyway, then the "cerfew" and the party starts :rolleyes: ) so camping at them makes sense for me.

I wanna stay easy and close to SL as I'll proly be showing up more towards evening. Maybe earlier.

And last I checked on the SL ATV boards, the place has been pretty dead the past few weeks, so bonus there. :)