Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought a Multimeter

The Dude Abides

They are super handy. I don't know which one you bought, but hopefully it does RPM's and duty cycle. Those are nice features to have when woking with car electronics. If you need to check something and don't know how, just use google! I have learned how to use mine that way! Gotta love the internet! Have fun with you new DMM :)

Just a word of advice, here. The test leads that you generally get with a DMM are junk. Just like the blade you get with a saw. Get yourself a good set of test leads. Those leads should have removable ends and should come with a small assortment of ends including standard probes, alligator clips and maybe a piercer.

Just a word of advice, here. The test leads that you generally get with a DMM are junk. Just like the blade you get with a saw. Get yourself a good set of test leads. Those leads should have removable ends and should come with a small assortment of ends including standard probes, alligator clips and maybe a piercer.

I was wondering about that, will i need to get those from sears in order for them to fit my model of multimeter. I think the leads will be fine for todays work but ill definately want some with aligator clips in the future.

I was wondering about that, will i need to get those from sears in order for them to fit my model of multimeter. I think the leads will be fine for todays work but ill definately want some with aligator clips in the future.

No. They don't HAVE to come from Sears. Looks like it has the standard connectors. Just get a good set.

study "ohm's law" as you should know the basics of electrical theory to understand what the DMM is telling you. otherwise its a glorified test light if you don't use it beyond simple troubleshooting

And "'Kirshoffs Theroy" LOL

it's fun and makes your brain hurt.

Yeah - any lead set will fit. Get a Fluke silicone set.

Looks like a decent unit - should do everything you will need.

Just remember that it's not auto-ranging so you will have to have some idea of what the range you are looking for should be.

Just read up on Ohm's law, resistance, AC/DC voltage, current, etc. Also you should look around the internet for a good explanation of the GM remote sensing alternator circuit. It will help you understand how to test your charging system which is by far the most common thing you will do with it for now.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

A multi meter is an invaluable tool, One the the things I use the most on mine is the Ohmmeter while doing electrical work. When I was having an alternator rebuilt the guy showed me an easy way to see if your alternator is charging without a multimeter, just take something steel, like a screwdriver, and touch it to the cap in the center of the backside of the alternator while it's running, and if it's magnetic then it is charging. Granted, this doesn't tell you how much it's charging, but is a great trick for the side of the road.

Nice meter. Looks like it will be pretty decent.

I don't use digital meters though. I have an old simpson 260 that I dearly love. It's bulky and combersome sometimes but I can pretty much do anything with it.

I have to emply math skills sometimes to use it but it keeps me sharp.

O-scope for everything else "difficult".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...