Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip

Hey all...

I am leaving in the morning on a ten day Subaru road trip, Mendocino to Ventura tomorrow, Ventura to Huntington Beach Sunday, and then HB to Phoenix Monday. Homeward trip will be through Death Valley via Titus Canyon, and up to Bridgeport to Travertine Hot springs, which I hope will involve some snow, mapping software says 2100 miles.

Subaru is in great shape, but just a warning to y'all in the route...may need Subie favors.

bringing lots of parts, part of the reason for the trip is a great mechanic down there. he can work on the subaru while I fix his daughters computer, again!

Should have my TWB rack on, and the LSD installed for the return trip.

Mendodave

Dave

Ater Bridgeport, then where?

120 (Tioga Pass) through Yosemite is closed this time of year, 108 (Sonora Pass) may be closed too..89 (Monitor) & 4(Ebbets), definitely.

ICOE, there are lots of EA81s in Mammoth Lakes, parts and "professional help" available there.

US 395 = Beautiful drive.

Hi NV

going down on Hwy 101, and up on Hwy 395, and yes, it is sweet. Usually this trip would be done on my motorcycle, but it doesn't need the work the Subi does.

I will go over whatever pass is open and has tons of snow on it!

have you been to Travertine? just south of Bridgeport.

this is October, 2000.

hopefully I can get over before I-80, but I think all the passes are closed up that far.

D

Mendo

If Sonora (108) is closed, you can definitely cross over on 88, Carson Pass/Spur. You'll have to go up to almost Gardnerville, but it's a great drive. Plenty-o-snow around Kirkwood.

50 ain't bad, either.

Too close to Tahoe not to at least buzz through (take NV-207). I can recommend a cool little hotel (small $$) in Tahoe if need be (I may be in the Bay Area then).

I'd avoid I-80 (Donner) at just about any cost..it's "Spinning Tourist City" on that route.

You can check current road conditions and closures, call (800) 427-7623. (I remember it by 800- GAS-ROAD:cool: )

Never been to Travertine, but heard of it, and of course passed by many times on the way to Vegas.