Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice Buying a front damage '97 Outback for parts

I am going to look at a '97 Outback Wagon LTD today with front damage. The engine is supposedly good. In fact it was a "low mileage" Japanese unit that supposedly had new seals put in it by a mechanic before it was installed. The engine is a 2.5. Not sure of the year of the engine. The car has a 5 speed. The guy wants $2K for the whole car. I think I could get if for less. I have been looking for either a ej22t or a ej25 and a manual tranny and the front suspension for a AWD Volvo project. I really want the 5 speed. I'm looking for some advice. I heard something about the head gaskets on these engines. Would it be dohc or sohc? Which is better? Any advice is welcome. If I get the go ahead from you guys I'll probably make him an offer today. I'll be leaving here to look at it so if you have an opinion I'd appreciate it if you could post soon.

I bought it for $1200. It has a 2.5 DOHC. I was able to actually drive it home. The hood, pass fender and bumper are the only damaged sheet metal. It was paid off by the insurance and there is no title at this time. I don't plan to put it back on the street as a Subaru anyway. Now I'm looking for a Volvo wagon.