Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering from EA82 to 79 Brat

I'm parting out my donor 87 GL EA82 for the EJ22 swap into my '79 Brat. Mainly I'm using the 5 spd DR tanny and what ever else will work.

I'm following the EJ22 to EA82 swap procedure but trying to apply this to my Brat.

Since my Gen1 Brat has manual steering I'm thinking, as other have, putting the Power steering Rack and Pinion in and adapting the Legacy pump hoses to that.

Will this work and what mechancial stuff will I have to modify. Tie rods, ends etc.. It looks like the gear box input shaft should fit up like the old manual system. Can I use the 87 steering column or stick with the old one.

Hmmm! I sure like those RX steering wheels. Looking for an opportunity to 'snag' on and install it in the Brat..:grin:

comments, suggestions and links would be appreciated.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

The EA-82 PS rack can be installed into an EA-81 vehicle, but it takes some doing to do so.

Engine crossmember has to be reworked to clear the hardlines that are on the PS rack.

Inner tie-rod ends need to be shortened and re-threaded.

Those are things I know of, there may be more things involved in just fitting the rack.

You need to mount a PS pump on the engine, run a drive belt, run the lines/hoses to the rack.

I have no idea on swapping one into a 1st Gen vehicle, but would think there would be major fab work involved.

You should take both racks out, and lay them side by side. I believe the EA82 rack is going to be wider, and cause you some problems.

The EA82 rack being longer isnt a bad thing, we are putting Loyale front control arms underneath pushing the tires out a little over an inch. did the arm swap on the hatch and had to use Legacy Tierod ends.

The EA82 rack being longer isnt a bad thing, we are putting Loyale front control arms underneath pushing the tires out a little over an inch. did the arm swap on the hatch and had to use Legacy Tierod ends.

You just used EA82 Control arms? Not the whole crossmember? How did you adjust for the different angle? EA81 arm angles backward from the crossmember, while the EA82 arms go straight out? PIcs?

Here's what I did. Whole EA82 crossmember, control arms, and radius rods(bolted rigth to the original EA81 radius rod mounts.)

P1010008.jpg EA82 crossmember modified to bolt(and welded) to my lift blocks. Lift block unbolt from stock EA81 location. Body of car unmodified, all the adaption is in the lift blocks.

Edited by Gloyale

• 8 years later...