Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh Oh, I got an intercooler!

Last week-end, it was 1/2 off day at the local junk yard. I went looking for a starter (got one) and a few other bits and pieces for both Red, the $300 94 Legacy Alpine Wagon, and Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag. Though I didn't find a lot of the stuff on the list, I did find an intercooler. It was from a VW Corado, a cool little car in its day. I wasn't going to get it, but since it was half off, I figured "what the heck".

Now for the questions:

* I've looked around the list, and have found a few threads about intercoolers, but no instructions on installing / modifying.

* Does anyone have a favorite thread they can point me to? How much difference would it make for the 87 EA82T?

* Is this mod even worth it? I'm not expecting to get that much more power with this mod, and I won't try if I'm going to greatly increase the likelihood of head gasket failure. It's been three years since the last HG replacement, and I've been on the HG carousel one or two too many times. I gave it up for lent a few years ago, thank you very much! :grin:

Plus, there is a chance I may be selling Murph :( as i have found a really good deal on a 98 Impreza Outback Sport, and I can't keep both cars. Don't know if I'm gonna buy yet, but I'm going test drive today.

Now I don't live in Cali so don't quote me on this but I wouldn't see why it would matter too much on the smog test. just increases air flow to the intake. iirc cold air is compressible which allows for more air to the cylinders. the car would compensate and add more fuel. it would give you more power. i don't think it would matter too much. but like i said, don't quote me on it. :grin:

-Justin

installing an intercooler IS smog legal in the state of california. Although most smog techs don't realize it and think it falls under the "intake modification" rule. Although it does not.

The mod is WELL worth it. You will remove most your hesitation problems and pinging under boost. Even without a hood scoop, i noticed a drastic improvement in acceleration after i installed an intercooler.

DO IT!

Installing an intercooler is no "plug-n-play" operation. It will take fabrication for mounts & piping. You also need to make sure to install a Bypass Valve.

I suggest you read up on how turbo's work, what intercoolers REALLY do, and what other components EA82T's are missing, that should really be there to begin with.

• 4 years later...

UPDATE....

After FOUR YEARS of sitting by while the world slowly turned, I'm FINALLY installing an intercooler!  I have no idea how this escaped me for all this time, but a guy from the Fresno / Clovis area has been on this list since Sept 2006... Almost as long as I have been! 

Again, I have no idea how that's possible!  :huh:

Anyway, he ALSO has a GL-10 wagon just like mine.... With one exception. While I was sitting on my haunches doing nothing, he was beefing his Turbo Wag up to the hilt! But now he has to say good by to it and is parting it out. He contacted me while I was searching for a power steering pump, and in the process, he sold me his intercooler set-up. It's all pre-modded and pretty much plug-and-play.

I'm installing at this very moment. Will let you guys know how it goes... Oh... And I'll take tons of pictures!

Edited by Sonicfrog

Done!

Interesting the difference in the acceleration. Coan't say that I notice much difference at lower RPMS. In fact, I think I have a wee bit more turbolag. Bit once I hit 3000 RPM, which was approaching the upper useful acceleration range, now it feels like things are just getting warmed up... It starts really kicking in!  It's GREAT!

IMAG0149.jpg

• Like 1

thought you were an old post dredger - but it's your thread to begin with  - just four years and three months later. Good of you to complete the thread :)

I've got a few intercoolers around that need this finalising :P

Hey ! You have an EJ plastic oil cap and what looks like an EJ oil fill tube. I tinkered with idea from an EJ16 - don't think any holes lined up. How'd you do yours ??

Edited by jono

The Legacy oil fill tube is one of my favorite mods. I popped the inserts out and widened the holes. Had to put oversized washers on the screws to hold down the pipe. And you have to make a gasket to fit.  It's much MUCH better than the stock one. Very much worth doing.

Edited by Sonicfrog