Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got an 87 GL wagon!

NinjaTech

I sold my 86 Toyota MR2 that I had owned for 4 years last thursday so I had some money to get another subaru wagon. I had been wanting another since I traded my Loyale last year. I found this 87 GL with DR trans for $650. The car sat for quite awhile so it has some issues but it's been pretty good daily driving it so far. The interior is also in great shape and even has the rear privacy cover. It's got the crap Hitachi carb that is making my performance suck. The clutch slips a bit but I have an Exedy clutch kit on the way, should be here this week.

It's also got some rust spots. The worst spot is on the front edge of the hood. there are also two holes rusted into the little cubby holes like where the jack is but one hole on each side of the car. The wheel arches and a couple other spots have rust bubbles. But that gives me an excuse to trim the fenders for when I get some bigger tires.

IMG_0342.jpg

My plans for it are:

-replace the clutch

-bleed brakes

-put some 27's -29's on it

-Fab some steel bumpers

-possibly a 2" lift (I found some 3/16 2" square tubing at school)

-replace the radiator (cooling fins are disintegrating)

-replace all the hoses

-get the GM 100amp alt (I think mine is going bad, but amps are good anyways)

-SPFI if I can find all the parts. Possibly a weber/holley 5200 (my friend has a spare 5200 I can mess with)

-EJ swap in the distant future. (if things go well maybe as soon as this summer)

I picked up an LSD at the junkyard for $60 yesterday. I Also got some black powder coated steel wheels for $60, toyota backspacing so they should be good. The guy said they're made by Micky Thompson. Talk about some good luck finding a decent cheap car and some cheap parts.

I'll get some pics of the wheels and better ones of the car tomorrow. It's been pretty gloomy lately and all I have is an iphone for pics right now.

How would I tell is the clutch cable is too tight or if there is oil dripping? I assume I'll just find out when I pull the engine for the latter.

Here's the better pics of my car.

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Took a few of the bad rust spots.

mud! :lol:

IMG_0347.jpg

yummy . . .

IMG_0350.jpg

This is my custom ram air scoop . . :banana:

IMG_0351.jpg

anyways, I decided that I'm going to replace the rear muffler with a cherry bomb glasspack that I have laying in my shed. The car is too damn quiet and can only kinda hear it when I'm past ~4500rpm and that bugs the hell out of me. I might do that this weekend if I can use my friends welder.

I have a question for you Weber guys out there. What jet sizes are you running? I'm asking because I might swap this hitachi for my friends holley 5200 which is basically a 32/36. I'm thinking of making an adapter plate in my welding class to use the carb until I can get and SPFI setup together.

Edit: got my answer in the other forum.

Also, I'm going to be replacing my clutch and flywheel tomorrow so I'll try to take some pics of that. After I have that done I might start getting my tires and wheels sorted out. I'm going to wait until the clutch is broken in before putting bigger tires on though.

I'm also hoping the new clutch helps my mileage since last time I filled up I got 20mpg. I'm fairly certain that most of that horrible mileage is due to the slipping clutch and need to have my foot to the floor to get up any inclines.

Edited by NinjaTech

Well I got my clutch done last night at my friends. It's really different feeling than the old one since it actually works properly. I'm just going to take it easy for the next tank of gas or so for the break in.

the old clutch was about half the thickness as the new one. It was also glazed to hell.

old clutch:

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

old flywheel:

IMG_0356.jpg

New clutch:

IMG_0360.jpg

Shiny new flywheel that my friend wrote on. :rolleyes:

IMG_0357.jpg

Do you guys think I need a new radiator? :lol:

my friend holding the radiator.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Exedy has some funny cartoons on their clutch kits.

IMG_0362.jpg

I'm going to make my 2" lift this week. probably on friday since I can work on projects in my welding class on fridays. I just had two questions about it. 1. how do you guys go about drilling at a 15* angle? 2. on the front pieces that you drill at 15*, they're just cut straight right? I have the plans written out and just wanted to confirm that.

thanks.

Im in tumwater, I can drive over to your place, and you could take a look at my car for ideas on the lift etc. Its 4" lifted, so im sure that could help. Let me know.

That would be cool. Maybe i can talk you into letting me try one of your tires for fitment before i go buy a set. :) I get out of class at 11am and am usually free the rest of the day during the week.

well I cut out all the pieces for my lift. I drilled out two of the four tabs for the rear. I think my drill bit is dull already. Wish I had a drill press.

In other news I passed my 3G(verticle plate) MIG certification test on friday. I made my goal of passing within the first two weeks of class. Next week I'll be working on my 4G(overhead plate) and 6G pipe certs for MIG. I was happy that my instructor was so pleased with my welding. I think I'm the first person to cert this quarter too, I'll have to double check though.

Well I stripped out one, maybe two of my exhaust studs. The passenger side is sealing but the driver side it leaking and loud as hell. I also have no torque now. Should I try tapping it to a different size? Or should I try to find a M10x1.25 Helicoil kit? Helicoils are pretty expensive from what I've seen online. If anyone local has a kit I'd kick you some cash if you would let me use it.

Well, I took it offroad a bit in capital forest last night. I got stopped by a cop on the way to the first pit on the Delphi side. Some kid rolled his truck and there were two cops there with him in the middle of the forest. He was questioning me as to what I was doing out there and telling me to slow down even though I wasn't going very quick. Anyways, my friend got a couple cool night shots. We used some LED flashlights we had to light the car up during the slow exposure.

S6302992.jpg

S6302993.jpg

S6302995.jpg

I think this one turned out pretty damn good.

S6302996.jpg

Thanks dude. Get a hold of me if you want to go up there sometime. There's not a whole lot of trails out there unfortunately. All the stuff at rock candy has signs saying that you'll be fined for going out there. The only way to get back to the wheeling areas is through ATV and dirt bike trails. It sucks since if I was back there and went back the easy way on my dirt bike I could still get fined, even though I went through the trails to get there.

Also, Could a mod please change my thread title to Ninja Wagon build thread? or something cooler than the current one haha.

Edited by NinjaTech

Thanks dude. Get a hold of me if you want to go up there sometime. There's not a whole lot of trails out there unfortunately. All the stuff at rock candy has signs saying that you'll be fined for going out there. The only way to get back to the wheeling areas is through ATV and dirt bike trails. It sucks since if I was back there and went back the easy way on my dirt bike I could still get fined, even though I went through the trails to get there.

Sounds good, I have a couple more people that also want to go wheelin' down here as well and I will PM you when we actually get a date together, I just haven't been able to go out because of my heater core and what not, but my heater core came today, so it looks like this weekend I might be putting that in, but we shall see...

well I'm half way there. This took way longer than expected. I also wanted to state that the directions for the rear lift have the wrong measurement for the bolt hole. It should be more like 9/16" not 5/8".

IMG_0373.jpg

does my rear camber look ok? or does it even change on the rear?

IMG_0374.jpg

you doing anything tomorrow Corvette66? I want to see how your 28's fit. :grin:

Lift Pics! :)

IMG_0375.jpg

Also scored a set of these flat spoke peugeots for $100. Came with center caps and lug nuts. Another USMB member showed up to buy the other set the guy head, I forgot his name though. Older guy with a teal impreza wagon.

IMG_0376.jpg

My friend is going to buy those black steelies that I was going to use before. They'll look good on his Toyota T100.

I'll be getting some tires this week so I can make it to the Walker meet.